Speed

[Old Forum alecco] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 4 months ago

I really, really like DDG a lot so please don't take this in a negative way! In fact I've been promoting it extensively after the events this past week.

Results take a little while to show up, even using Google Chrome (with fast JS and such.) I wonder if the delay of results is the time to render or is it my weird queries hitting the backend SQL? Or the multiple requests and parsing JSON perhaps? On a somewhat weird query YSlow showed >1s for 3 of the 5 JS requests on the results page.

It feels a lot like YUI apps. Other people notice it. Also there's unease on running JS, but that's a more hardcore security base, not really that important in the big picture (I think.)

Have you considered using nginx modules for querying cache/sql and writing HTML directly?

Cheers,

Alecco

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Speed has actually always been a priority, and something I take very seriously. I use nginx modules directly already and do a lot of other things, but first I want to nail down your particular issue. Are you outside the US? All the servers are in the US, and that could cause the issue; in fact, it is the most common one by far.

posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Yep. But I'm on a 5Mbit link and don't experience this on other sites hosted in AWS/S3/etc (I used to have one.)
posted by [Old Forum alecco] • 8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Aha... You use Yahoo BOSS and Bing. OK, I thought you ran your own full-blown search service :)

Sorry for the noise!

Alecco

Edit: and by this I mean I was whining, you're doing a great job if this does external querying.
yegg
It's actually a hybrid, and so we do our own crawling and indexing as well. Here's a few things to try.

1) Is it faster at http://ff.duckduckgo.com/ ? This server is on Amazon. The main servers are actually not on Amazon, though they have a direct fiber connection so they should be fast. All servers (including Amazon) are on the US east coast. Most people on the East Coast comment how fast it is (often faster than Google), but outside the US there can be a lag.

2) Is it faster for disambiguation pages, e.g. http://duckduckgo.com/?q=test ? That page is all from our own index.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I can't paste here the output of YSlow because it exeeds the limits. I'll email you.
anonymous
I personally just tried http://ff.duckduckgo.com and must say it is MUCH faster for me. I'm in Northern California. If you don't mind me asking, why don't you use Amazon for the main site? It seems to be so much speedier (maybe it's faster because it isn't running the main site)
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
I get mixed results when I ask people. I personally find the current server faster, but that just may be my network setup/location.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
That's strange. If I had to guess I would have to say it's your network / location.
This is probably a bit of a hefty request, but do you think it would be possible to do some sort of Google-style network location determination. 

Perhaps the East Coast could point to your own hardware, whereas the West Coast could point to AWS. This same principal could also apply to the rest of the world. 
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
It's on my list to investigate that. I've never set anything like that up before, so if anyone has any pointers/references, please let me know.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link