Suggestion about the "About" web page.

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 7 months ago
I put this suggestion in a feedback message but I thought I would post it here as well.

I am totally confused.  May I make a suggestion?  Perhaps on your About page you could say what DDG actually does.  Maybe you could say you are a search engine and where you get your search results data.  Is it from your own web crawler or what?  The About page seems to start in the middle rather than at the beginning.

An example is that I searched for the "Download Helper" application and got only one result and that was completely unrelated, as opposed to the hundreds of results from other search engines.  Do other people get the same results?  This happens a lot with DDG so I am thinking I am doing something wrong.  So there is another suggestion for your About page:  what should the user do and what results should he or she expect?

Last thing: are there issues if you use add-ons such as Ghostery?  Shouldn't this be stated on the About page as well?

thank you

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Thank you. It used to say "Duck Duck Go is a search engine, like Google." I just added this back and I think this solves this issue. People's frame of reference is Google, and I should have never removed that explicit framing. 

And yes, it is not working for you :). You must have JS turned off or disabled in some fashion for DDG, which gets most of its results asynchronously via JS.

Ghostery used to cause problems, but it was supposedly fixed: http://getsatisfaction.com/ghostery/topics/ghostery_causes_firefox_to_crash_on_duckduckgo_com

In any case, I don't think that belongs on the about page. More the FAQ :).

Please let me know if that fixes it and sorry for the bad experience thus far!
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 7 months ago Link
yegg
The download helper case should be fixed.
anonymous

I just put duckduckgo.com on my Ghostery whitelist and now I get about 50 search results - much better!  (For reference, I use Firefox 3.6.8 and Ghostery 2.2.1.)

Thank you for your commendable response and support.

Next, I will try to understand zero-click.  I wish I could send you a jpg.  There is an orange box that says:

Helper (Software)  Zero-click Info (?)
(Transportation). More at "Download.com" 

which has little to do with my search for "Download Helper".

Perhaps you could expand the FAQ a bit - for example:   "Zero-click is useful info that DDG displays in an orange box above the search results. For example, it might be a definition of the search term (yes/no/what?).  With other search engines, you have to click on a link - with DDG it appears with zero-clicks!"

Hope you don't mind my suggestions.  Sometimes it's hard for developers to give the users a clear picture of what is happening.

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 7 months ago Link
yegg
You are right--that zero-click example sucks. Again I'm sorry you had such a bad first experience! I'm marking this as a bug and will prevent it from coming up in the future (and cases like it). 
anonymous
You can insert an image in this thread (png is better than jpg for this). There's an icon between the subject and body text boxes that looks like a sunrise/sunset (to the left of the smiley) that will insert an image from a URL or your computer. If that doesn't work, you can upload the image to imgur.com and paste the link here. Either method should be painless (I'm assuming you know how to take a screenshot on your system, of course :D)
posted by [Old Forum nate.p] • 7 years and 7 months ago Link