Red box around wikipedia zero-click info items

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 3 months ago
I've always found keyboard navigation confusing when there is a zero-click info box.  I almost always want to go to the wikipedia article when this shows and the red box makes me think the cursor is on this item.  So I hit enter and go to the first search result instead thus thoroughly confusing myself.  To do what I find the natural thing I instead have to scroll the cursor up by hitting 'k'.  Could the red box be demphasized or preferably could hitting enter just take you to the zero-click info web page?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
Previously I had the first result highlighted but this was causing confusion that it was an ad, so I took that initial highlighting off, but I see your point that then it seems the 0-click box is highlighted.

I do think it could use a UI improvement, e.g. de-emphasizing like you say. I'm open to suggestions there if anyone has any particular change ideas.

As for making it the default, I tried this for a while but it caused more confusion than having the first link be the default. I could, however, make a keyboard shortcut to auto-go to that result. Thoughts on that idea?
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
this in the future. They would automatically detect a word or grouping of words and let you know when it can be searched with the !bang feature. motorcycle jacket
For instance, if you entered a group of lyrics, it would detect you entered lyrics and provide the !lyrics bang for you without having to enter !lyrics, it would simply provide a big bang button for you.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link