Better Calculator for Mathematics Enthusiasts

[Old Forum eric.leebow] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 2 months ago
DuckDuckGo needs a better calculator. I should be able to enter anything in it. DuckDuckGo is very much behind in its Math calculations.

I should enter:

Eight Squared = 64
Euler's constant = 0.577215665 
Pi = 3.14159265 

So many more, don't even want to get into it!  

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I have just submitted a feedback asking for proper unit handling too.

Stuff like:

// named values
1 billion / 100 million = 10

// representing the value with the biggest prefix possible
(2^32) * bytes = 4 gigabytes

// conversion of physics units (joules/second = watts)
(32 joules) / (5 seconds) = 6.4 watts

// dividing dimensionless values by time and answering with the biggest unit possible
1 000 000 / (3 per second) = 3.85802469 days

It doesn't have to be as complete as the Frink programming language, or even include all 4 features listed above, but I'm finding myself more and more making calculations with units and prefixes.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
Hey, thx for looking at this stuff. The calculator is actually quite decent because we send all the complex stuff off to WolframAlpha, which is awesome. For example, http://duckduckgo.com/?q=3x+5x^2=0 or http://duckduckgo.com/?q=integrate+3x+5x^2 etc.

Specific queries like the above are very helpful though so I can expand what is sent over there. I'll work on the above.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Great!  Is anyone doing Calculus in natural language?  For instance, it would be great to have in the next 10 years!

"What is the Integral of 3x+5x^2?"

posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 7 years and 2 months ago Link