Weird behavior when pressing middle mouse button

[Old Forum blaxpirit] anonymous
Created: 7 years and 8 months ago
When I middle-click the link (blue text), everything is correct. Page opens in new background tab.
But if I middle-click anywhere else on the green area...
The scrolling starts and...
Opera: Page is opened in new foreground tab
Chrome: Pop-up blocked
IE: Pop-up blocked + redirect to home page
Safari: Nothing happens, just scrolling
How it should be: Page opens in new background tab

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

yegg
There actually is little I can do about this one as it is browser-dependent. The link works because the middle click behavior is handled by the browser. The area surrounding the link is clickable through an onClick event via JS, which produces different effects.

In particular, I can only use a window.open call. In Chrome/IE this results in a pop-up window/tab. If you turn pop-ups on for DDG, it should pop-up correctly. It seems to work in Firefox. On Safari, for some reason non-text within divs are not clickable, even though the div has an onclick event; I'd call this a bug.

I'm not getting the redirect to homepage thinge IE. What OS & version are you on?

One part-way solution would be to re-architect all the divs to make them links, which would go back to the browser behvior. But I'm not really sure if this is possible (and at the very least difficult) because of spacing as well as other links within those divs.
posted by yegg Staff7 years and 8 months ago Link