Google's Feeling Lucky?

[Old Forum guest] anonymous
Created: 8 years and 7 months ago
Is "Feeling Lucky" supported in Duck Duck Go? If not, why?

Thank you!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Yes, but DuckDuckGo does it differently, and it's not Google's "I'm Feeling Lucky," meaning it's not the first search result from Google, yet rather the first result you would find on DuckDuckGo. They call it "Ducky" and you have to enter the bang code !ducky before what you're searching for.

So, if you were searching for Ducks, you would enter: !ducky ducks
posted by [Old Forum eric.leebow] • 8 years and 7 months ago Link
yegg
You can do it by just doing / (slash key) and then your search, e.g. /search or /facebook or whatever.

! (exclamation point) plus a space also works, e.g. ! space or ! facebook.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Nice one!

With this, I'm switching almost 100% to DuckDuckGo!

In case somebody will look for this for the same reason as me, it is very convenient for using in the browser's location bar search engines. For example:

So writing "w probability theory" jumps to the proper page in Wikipedia, "so huffman coding" will give a results list of pages in Stack Overflow with better relevance than the site's search :)

Thanks DDG!

posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hey, that's even better.

Thanks Gabriel!
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 7 months ago Link
yegg
Np; note that your examples are also somewhat covered by the bang commands: http://duckduckgo.com/bang.html

So you can do !so search or !w search or !imdb search and it will do 'search' within those engines directly.

It is one extra click though a shorter query.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I couldn't find this easily;

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:duckduckgo.com+"i'm+feeling+lucky"
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=site:duckduckgo.com+lucky

Maybe mention that you call it "ducky" somewhere on the main site?
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I remember this working for me before.

Typing /banana in the search box and being taken straight to the first result for it (the wikipedia entry on banana)

Now, for some unknown reason, it doesn't work for me. I'm using DDG's always SSL setting if that makes a difference.
posted by [Old Forum stilvoid] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
It's "\banana" instead of "/banana" for some time now.

It works well I use it very often.
posted by [Old Forum guest] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Me above.

(Zoho is seriously getting on my nerves)
posted by [Old Forum eet-fuk] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
On Zoho, I know this is super annoying--and I'll email them again, but right now I don't sign in via https and then it does save my info for a long time. If there are other bugs, let me know and I'll pass them along.

Back to the discussion at hand :)

Yes, it switched from / to \. / was running into too many conflicts. But I just made it more accessible (unannounced yet). It's now in the dropdown next to the search box. So you can also just type in a term, and then hit that in the drop down.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Not sure DDG should try and implement goog stuff.. DDG is not google and it does not have xyz features.. Stay true to the roots!

"Facebook is now bigger than Google in web traffic"

posted by [Old Forum kenneth.h] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link
yegg
Yeah, generally agree with this (email, finance, etc.), but some stuff is useful and people actually use this feature.
posted by yegg Staff8 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Yep, seconded. Very useful.

Don't know how I managed to miss that it had changed from / to \ though!

o_O
posted by [Old Forum stilvoid] • 8 years and 3 months ago Link