ADVANCED SEARCH / FOCUSED SEARCH

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 11 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 11 months ago
Seeing so many RESULTS that are NOT what I'm looking for, I'd like to FORCE the search to IGNORE specific elements from those results that I see to be NOT leading to my ultimately intended search destination.....and I'd like to be able to force the search to be contained to a specific complete phrase (and adjust and RE-adjust these things on the fly, gradually paring the results down to a more manageable pile).

All this I'd like, WITHOUT having to have a fine-tuned knowledge of search-bar-science.

The "Advanced Search" at Google is not perfect, but something like that would be a leaps-and-bounds addition to the tool-bag here.

Thanks.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
The current advanced search syntax is here but we're investigating some issues with the exact match operator (using quotations). If you find any examples of quotations not returning exact matches, please post them here so we can relate them to our sources when the problem is upstream from us.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 11 months ago Link
TopHattedCoder
If you want emphasis, bold it or italicise, there's no need to go all caps dude. But a simplified search syntax generator would be nice for user-friendliness, I agree.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader4 years and 11 months ago Link
hip
Agree! Many failures in simple searches.
posted by hip 4 years and 11 months ago Link
Upsilon920
I agree.
posted by Upsilon920 4 years and 11 months ago Link
hip
I've already posted about that behavior but I believe it shouldn't be in an 'advanced search' but in common search. You can check here and here.

Hope we all get to build a great search engine for all of us (and to be able to find what we search, not to find out what we think).
posted by hip 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I too would like an Advanced Search page. Before using DuckDuckGo I used Google Advanced Search all the time and bookmarked it in my Favorites. I don't want to have to use inverted commas, plusses and minuses all the time. Please can we have this.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I too would like an easy to use Advanced search options. i.e. not regular expression syntax.

Since DuckDuckGo doesn't know what you are really searching for sometimes the results are not as good as Google. But advanced search functions would partially overcome this issue.

e.g. must have +"phrase x" must not have -"phrase y", some "X & Y", "X OR Y"

Also maybe search session where you can search within results, or have some memory of the searches, until you find what you want or are finished searching.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
hip
I agree but go much simpler. When I do a search for 'A B C', I don't wanna see results with just 'A B' or just 'A C' or even 'A V', which too often show up at DDG. In case there's no results for 'A B C', there might be the option to get results for 'A B' but ALWAYS making it clear for the user with a label 'Results for tems 'A & B' only'. In that case (and only in that case) there could show the 'Did you mean 'A V C'?' subtle question.
posted by hip 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I agree with this sentiment.
I would like it if I could enter an extra option that it goes in a stricter search where search results are only shown when all of my keywords are on the page.
It would be nice to know if something isn't there. Its good to see "no search results found" in certain scenarios.

Maybe like this:
(slackware retroshare .tgz) optional keywords
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 4 months ago Link