[Link] The perils of mixing open source and money

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago
http://david.heinemeierhansson.com/2013/...

Something I think about a lot with regards to our developer community.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Great article. Of note for solid streams of income would be the fantastic Ardour Digital Audio Workstation. (ardour.org). Paul Davis has had a (seemingly) steady stream of income through the usage of subscriptions in order to download pre-built binaries. Anyone wishing to download the source code for building themselves are free to do so, but he charges for the package. He's been using that money as his main source of income for some years now and he still is the main dev of the project (with a few others in the scene).
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
If I may ask, why do you think about money in regards to your developer community?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
zac
I'm not speaking for Gabe or the company as a whole but I can say that, from feedback alone, we get a lot of questions about why we don't set up a bounty system for instant answers
posted by zac Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link