localhost is searching on duckduckgo on Safari 7

macshaggy macshaggy
Created: 4 years and 11 months ago
I am working on Mavericks 10.9 and Safari 7. I have added Duckduckgo but I am doing rails work and using my machine as a testing machine. So I will always run the web server supplied by rails and enter localhost:3000 but the location bar url is being grabbed and causing a search in duckduckgo. Is there a way that if enter a localhost:port # that duckduckgo ignore it.

This also occurs when I'm trying to access my cups server via localhost:631. The only current work around is to uncheck DuckDuckGo as the default search engine which is bummer since I will forget to turn it back on.
Attached Files: 1
duckduckgo-error.tiff - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
not sure why that would happen only with duckduckgo, but for a quicker workaround you should be able to hit / (forward slash) at the end to make it work.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 11 months ago Link
Moollaza
@macshaggy I take it you're using the DuckDuckGo Safari Extension? If so, it sounds like you might have an old version of the extension. I personally ran into this problem last week and resolved it by installing the newest version.

Please read this for more details and a link to the newest version: https://github.com/duckduckgo/safari-zer...
posted by Moollaza Staff4 years and 11 months ago Link
macshaggy
okay. i was not aware that it wasn't updated but I will try that as soon as I'm home and will let you know.

Thanks for the info.
posted by macshaggy 4 years and 11 months ago Link
macshaggy
Yup that worked and fixed my problem.

Thanks!
Upsilon920
Try typing "http://localhost:3000".
posted by Upsilon920 4 years and 11 months ago Link
macshaggy
That works for the initial page. But if a link is clicked it is usually relative to that path. This will cause the same issue. As soon as I can I'm going to update to the newest edition and see if that works.

Thanks for replying.
Upsilon920
Okay. Hope it helps!
posted by Upsilon920 4 years and 11 months ago Link