I hate ads, but I'm okay to give you money

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 8 months ago
"""Anonymous adblock user, [X]
We respect your use of adblock. Some of us use it too. Will you please make an exception
for our one ad?"""

Hello !

I hate these kind of messages. I mean, I install Adblock to block advertising, because, IMHO, ads are bad. That's all.

I won't allow ads for you, nor anybody, even if you are doing a great job with DuckDuckGo. Instead of trying make me feel guilty, please, tell me how I can give you money, directly ! I don't wan't to support adversiting industry, but I'm ready to pay to support services that help me, and I'm sure i'm not alone. It could be done easily via bank transfer, Flattr microdonation, credit card, paypal, or any alternatives you want.

Let's say :

"""Anonymous adblock user, [X]
We respect your use of adblock, but we can't keep our services running without money or help. If you enjoy DuckDuckGo, you may want to help us improve our services :
- XXX messages are waiting for translations [in your language](link to the place where we can help with translations)
- We need feedback on [hot new features] (link to forum)
- We are constantly hunting bugs, and in need for [bug reports](link to bug tracker)
- Tell us if you think some search results are not relevant
- We accept [donations](link to detail page) via many systems (e.g. credit card, Flattr, Paypal...)
"""

Seriously, I'm ready to pay 1€/month for a good search engine that don't bother me with ads of any kind.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Discrete ads are the way DDG has chosen to raise funds. Collecting small amounts of money from users (internationally) has a lot of overhead and would probably be non-profitable. Further, how would users know how to subscribe to the service without posting an add of some kind?

DDG respects the fact that you don't want to see ads of any kind:

Settings
Layout
Advertisements - Off
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
First of all, thank you for your answer.

I understand the fact ads are easier to manage. However, some services on the web allow users to suscribe to premium accounts, so they can use the service without ads and, sometimes with more features (WordPress.com, Spotify, Grooveshark...)

I'm sad the only way to give you money is accepting ads.

"Further, how would users know how to subscribe to the service without posting an add of some kind?"

In DuckDuckGo footer, in support us page, for example. It's not exactly an add, it's information on how to use your services. It's coming from you, on your own webpages.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for in input and thanks for your support, both are much appreciated.

Another option is to buy some DDG merch. It's cool and it helps spread the word.

https://duck.co/help/community/swag
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I didn't know about DDG merchandising. However, I consider this as advertising (by buying and wearing/using this, I become a living banner). Moreover, if I buy something like it, a significant part of money will be spend to pay the product itself. How much cost you a T-Shirt or a mug ?

I just wanted to give you money, directly, so you can use it, directly, free of charge (except, of course, charges required for the payment). I forgot it in my previous message, but BitCoin could be easier to manage for you.

Maybe I'm too narrow-minded, sorry.
crazedpsyc
Glad you are liking it, really, but as a for-profit company it feels bad to take donations like that. Offering premium services is not a great option either, it would require ... having services one might want to pay for. o_O

As for the ad issue--are you satisfied with disabling it in the settings, as @x.15a2 mentioned?
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes I'm okay with disabling ads in settings.

"Offering premium services is not a great option either, it would require ... having services one might want to pay for. o_O"

I understand donations are not the way to go, because you're a company, but personnaly, search engines are the kind of services I would pay for, especially if they are ad free.

Thank you for your quick answers !
anonymous
Agree completely. I'd happily pay for the service a LOT more than your ads will pay you to advertise to me. I'd like to give you $50 USD, but all I'm seeing is merchandise. What is the highest profit margin item that I can buy and give away? Stickers? Which one? Why not just have an item that is variable pricing and let me put my own price in there.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 11 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 11 months ago