Setting Duckduckgo as default search engine in Chrome

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago
I've wanted to make Duckduck my default search engine in Chrome for quite sometime. I tried a few times, but never succeeded....UNTIL...I read a post from "BigBen". I wanted to THANK him for the step-by-step instructions, but the comments were closed. So I'm hoping he'll find his way to my post here.

I found Ben's post at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/duckd... dated April 25, 2013. The directions may be old info to most, but just in case there are a few folks out there like me, I've reposted them below, with one added comment: enter the info exactly as it was typed by Ben or copy and paste. My first attempt failed. In my second attempt I made sure to enter my upper and lower case letters exactly as he typed them...and, well, there it was...shazam, Duckduckgo was listed among the other search engines. Making it my default after that was a simple click. Thank you BigBen:

BigBen says:
April 25, 2013 at 4:50 am
Not hard to do, but a mildly obscure fix that will exclude many average users.

HOWTO set up Chromium for Duckduckgo :

Click on the spanner, top right, then on Options (my Chrome didn't have "Options", so I went to "Settings") make sure the ‘Basics’ tab at the top is selected (I also did not have a "Basics", but it didn't matter).
Look for ‘Default Search’ box, click on ‘Manage’, then on ‘Add’

Fill in the form:
Line 1 = Duckduckgo
Line 2 = duckduckgo
Line 3 = https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s

…and click ‘save’

You should now have Duckduckgo listed as a Search Engine.
It will probably be near the bottom of the list, perhaps under ‘Other Search Engines’
Select the line with Duckduckgo in it – so that it is highlighted, then click on ‘Make Default’
The line with Duckduckgo in it should now have the tag:- (Default)

Close the ‘Manage’ and then ‘Options’ windows , and test the ‘Awesome’ bar – it should now default to DDG.

The bar is useful idea that I first saw a l o n g time before Google Chrome appeared.
As to this bit of tricksy impairment of the competition, I’m disappointed.
Google should review their original mission statement. Whilst this slippery trick is not pure evil , it is equally clearly not up to Google’s earlier standards.
So, is Google becoming more evil?
Probably.

hth, Ben

kcaKaren

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TopHattedCoder
That's sneaky, I agree, but it's just as complicated to set up as default in Firefox Mobile.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Not sure if it's in the stable version yet, but it recently became a lot easier in the betas. I really like how Firefox has been shaping up lately on mobiles.
posted by crazedpsyc 3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Yep! FF 26.0.1 just got pushed to my tablet and adding ddg to search and setting as default is very easy. just go to https://ddg.gg then long click on the search field and you'll get the option to add ddg as a search provider. Then go to FF Settings\Customize\Search settings to set ddg as the default. Finally!!!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
Nice! Will add this to the Firefox help article.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
NP, glad that this feature is now available. BTW, I should have said "long touch" instead of "long click on the search field", since we are talking tablets here, which pretty much eliminates "clicking".
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Haha, that's right! : P
BTW, it seems that the short domain (ddg.gg) doesn't support connecting over SSL/HTTPS, just in case someone wondered why it won't load. : ) It that something that should be fixed? : )
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
TopHattedCoder
That's good news! I've been avoiding Firefox on Mobile because hard-to-ignore rendering glitches keep on popping up for me, which is unfortunate because I like to use Mozilla products.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link