JavaScript is essentially a requirement. That's concerning.

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 5 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 5 months ago
Before you say "no it isn't!" Let me explain. If there's some magic hint or switch or something I'm missing, I'm all eyes/ears. But I'm not new to this.

My goal is to disable SafeSearch. For a browser that touts being unfiltered and anonymous it's a mystery why this is enabled by default. Parents are not going to be sending their kids here, they'd send them to Google, where the filtering is heavy-handed. But I digress.

If JavaScript is on, the settings are of course available conveniently at https://duckduckgo.com/settings. That link doesn't work for HTML mode. In fact, I find no way to disable Safe Search in HTML mode.

TOR of course throws that nonsense about canvas when I temporarily allow JavaScript. I'm not allowing that. It's not that I don't trust the DDG team, but I really shouldn't have to deal with that error. A simple session GUID would get around having to store or let my browser run scripts just to get truly unfiltered searches.

Again, if there is some magical way to get HTML DDG to disable Safe Search, I'm all eyes/ears. Also I know I can "bang" it off, but I'm trying to construct a link that I would add as a bookmark or something so that all searches are safe off.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TopHattedCoder
First, go on settings and configure them however you like. Second, press the link in the bottom-left of the settings box that says "Bookmarklet and settings data". Some details about the cloud option and a URL bookmarklet appear. Finally, bookmark it, but edit it and replace the forward slash after the domain with '/html/'.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
TopHattedCoder
For example, you're looking for 'https://duckduckgo.com/html/?kp=-1'
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
For a browser that touts being unfiltered and anonymous it's a mystery why this is enabled by default.

First, DDG is a search engine, not a browser. Browsers are Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari, etc. You access DDG via a browser.
Also (and I may be missing what you have read) I don't recall DDG touting being unfiltered. Here's what I've found:
We believe in better search and real privacy at the same time. That's why:
We have tons of goodies.
We don't track you.
We drop the clutter.
We don't filter bubble you.

Quote:
Parents are not going to be sending their kids here, they'd send them to Google

I totally disagree with this, as I always send my kids to DDG and I believe that once parents understand the different between !G\!B and DDG, they will do the same.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link