autocomplete for bangs

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 10 months ago
I love instant answers by ddg. and with bangs it gets even better. But with so many bangs available sometimes I end up searching directly without knowing that there is a bang available for that search.

Autocomplete for bangs can be very interesting feature in these kind of use cases. Duckduckgo doesn't have search autocomplete but with autocomplete bangs user experience can be imprved IMHO.

Detailed description:
When user starts query by "!" a list of bangs will appear below search box with bang's source.

Ex. For ser input 'y' or 'yourdic' YourDictionary bang should appear.
!yd - YourDictionary
For input whois who.is should appear.
!who who.is

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
We have this in our mobile apps :) Let us know what you think! https://duckduckgo.com/app/
posted by zac Staff4 years and 10 months ago Link
To be honest, it's not that hard to get use to it.
I usually memorized bangs which I use on daily base.

https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html
posted by 1337 4 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
The piece about discoverability is legitimate. We get that feedback pretty thoroughly from people who use !bangs a lot.
We tried to solve that with the !bang suggestions on the right of the search results but not many people notice it so it's not that effective :)
anonymous
Yes. It takes one search for a user to see !bang suggestions on right. So most people will miss it. But it helps a lot by suggesting that for that particular query you can use that bang in future. :)
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
@zac actually thats how i discovered bangs at first place.
posted by 1337 4 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
Nice!
anonymous
Hmm..
There are ~1800 available bangs. If we filter out locale specific bangs (Ex. Amazon.de (!ade)) and categories specific (programmer - redhat !rbugs) there'll be at least ~200 bangs that I can use. What I am trying to say is you will be always missing something that can help you search better. ;)
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
x.15a2
I do know that the devs are looking at "refreshing" the !bangs page. I don't know exactly what they have in mind but I'm sure that they would be opened to suggestions. Maybe something along the lines of the instant answers page: https://duckduckgo.com/goodies ?

It's great to have such a huge selection, but with it comes the potential of missing a lot of very good functionality.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 10 months ago Link
zac
Entirely open to suggestions. If someone wanted to make one that we could host on the community platform, the !bangs page itself could be open source.
Otherwise, feel free to discuss anywhere/any time!