Adium makes a great XMPP client too

noivad noivad
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 3 months ago
I just configured Adium as my cXMPP chat client on my OS X laptop. Funny that Adium was not mentioned since its mascot is also a duck. a simple bang syntax search on DDG for
!macupdate adium
will take you to the MU search results for it.

Just chose the XMPP (jabber) from Adium’s Preferences>Account>+ (pulldown]
type in your username@dukgo.com & password
select OK
and in a few seconds it connects.

BTW, Adium is free software (not even ad-ware), and I make no money for posting any of this, I just really like the software, especially the UI customizations and themes you can do on it.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
I use and love Adium. Thanks for posting!
posted by zac Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link
Jag
I use Adium, too. It's pretty nice. :)
posted by Jag Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link
jaryd
I also use adium :)
posted by jaryd Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link
getty
You should correct the hostname in your post, its still dukgo.com not duckgo.com ;) Also: it is not mentioned because Adium _IS_ the Mac Version of Pidgin. If you go to the Pidgin page it actually points you to Adium if you check for a mac version.
posted by getty 4 years and 3 months ago Link
noivad
Thanks,
Between duck.co and dukgo.com it gets a bit confusing and easy to switch them around while typing.

Pidgin is not Adium. Although they use the same core, they are different apps by different development teams. Pidgin developers recognize that Adium is more polished on OS X and recommend it instead. I just cut out the middleman and go directly to Adium’s page [https://adium.im].
posted by noivad 4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
It's not working for me. When I follow those steps, Adium tells me "zero byte resource" when I do that. What does that mean? Subsequently it asks me for the server address and port number. What should I fill in there for an xmpp account with dukgo.com?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, Adium is great. For those of you who use the OTR feature, you should download the nightly 1.6 version, it uses OTR v3, while the older versions use OTR v2.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link