Creating an exclusionary list so certain websites are never returned with search results

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 28 days ago • Updated: 4 years and 28 days ago
One feature I wish search engines maintained was the ability to create a filter list for websites that will never appear in the results.

Immediately I would add about.com, ehow.com and Yahoo Answers. The content on those and similar sites is so amateurish and terrible that I avoid them at all costs, but they virtually always show up.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
This issue is frequently requested here. In short, for now, You can add -site:sightname.com to your search to block the site(s) you don't want included in your search results.

Here's the most current discussion of this topic: https://duck.co/forum/thread/2416/how-to...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 28 days ago Link
anonymous
Thanks for the link and explanation.

The reason I've been using DuckDuckGo is for the Boolean search operators and better control over my searches than Google is offering. I wouldn't want to build up a long NOT statement for each query though.

I'd gladly create a user account on DuckDuckGo to be able to have advanced features like website blacklist maintained in my profile. And it'd even more fantastic if a small little negative sign showed up next to the results that I wanted to exclude. Then I could just click an icon instead of manually adding URLs to a list.

And honestly, if DuckDuckGo kept building up its search operators, I'd pay a subscription fee to use it. I honestly don't mind paying for quality.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 28 days ago Link
TV
I agree there should be option in setting to put black-list and save it in your safe cloud.
posted by TV 4 years and 27 days ago Link