FOSS donation nominations 2014 edition

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 4 years and 8 months ago
It's the time of year again for donations to FOSS related projects!

Like in previous years, half of our donation pool (total yet undetermined) will be directed by the company and half of it will be directed by you, the DuckDuckGo community.

Based on your nominations we will probably pick a theme (or two) and select several projects that fit the theme(s). Previous themes have been "fix tracking," "open data/information," and "security and privacy." Those are great themes and we wouldn't mind repeating them, but there could be others as well.

In any case, we'd love your nominations and suggestions, for both a theme and of course for individual projects. We particularly like projects that really need donations and where our relatively small amount could make a clear difference, i.e. are a good bang for the buck.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
Here are some links to donation nomination threads from the past:

https://duck.co/forum/thread/2418/foss-2...

https://duck.co/forum/thread/2642/foss-2...
posted by zac Staff4 years and 8 months ago Link
Zhyl
I vote for Mailpile, and vote for the theme to be 'secure communication'. Really any project that improve the usability of tools that are already out there like PGP and GPG.
posted by Zhyl 4 years and 8 months ago Link
Two
I think this and the Xiph.org Foundation would be good candidates. Xiph may be working on Dalaa, which is suppose to be a next gen video codec for use in Firefox (and other browsers), but I think competition between the two codecs I'd an inherently good thing,
posted by Two 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I nominate the WebM project (libvpx) for providing an open web standard for streaming video, one that can compete with x264 and whatever Microsoft has up its sleeve.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 8 months ago Link
dashesy
I vote for Adblock Plus (http://adblockplus.org/en/firefox) It is hard to imagine a system without it anymore.
posted by dashesy 4 years and 8 months ago Link
ScreapDK
I want to vote for Adblock Plus by the lovely people at Eyeo, too! : ) Personally, I would hate to browse the web without this browser add-on. The Internet is a horrible place to be, if you have to watch ads. It even block in-app ads on Android! : P
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
TV
Topic that should be more discussed and explained to people is definitely INSTANT ANSWERS and my vote goes there... Because it's the future of DuckDuckGo !
posted by TV 4 years and 8 months ago Link
TV
API API API and more API.
x.15a2
I'd like to see support for the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund.
http://lavabit.com/
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
TV
Vouch!
ScreapDK
I agree with this one!
romainlg
I pledge for anything related to Net Neutrality.

Net Neutrality = Internet Freedom
posted by romainlg Translation Manager4 years and 8 months ago Link
jofazepa
My suggestions goes for:

- tor and guardian project
- KDE KHML team (there is a strong need for a third player in the webkit/blink and gecko world.)
- pump.io, diaspora and movim social networks
- kolab and help promoting free secure kolab installations
- litecoin
- gnupg team
- mediagoblin and help promoting free secure mediagoblin installations

Suggestion for themes cumulative to the already proposed:

- FOSS Alternatives to monolithic market
- Innovative FOSS for future markets

Best to all
posted by jofazepa 4 years and 8 months ago Link
rsd
I vote for pump.io & mediagoblin.
posted by rsd 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I suggest PiTiVi ()

Linux needs a true video editor with a punch. With Steam's Linux support for Linux and alongside Indie Humble Bundle, Linux is slowly but surely removing the "I need Windows to game" stigma. With indie and professional film makers, there is a true lack of video editing software that can handle what other proprietary non-linear editing (NLE) software like Final Cut Pro (Mac) and Sony Vegas Pro (Windows).

It's released under the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL / ) and has a clearcut layout and continues to gain in both visual appearance, functionally, and just looks more and more professional everyday. Though not fully complete - every bit of code and funding helps.

[http://www.pitivi.org/i/screenshots/archive/0.91.png]
anonymous
I propose I2P (https://geti2p.net/) for donations. I2P is a 'darknet' network that enables anonymous, end to end communication. The project works to enable free speech in an open, modern society. Think of it as hidden services.

I2P does not get any support from companies, charities or government so it did not get the same support as Tor in terms of budget. I use I2P for speaking safely and sharing files freely.

I2P is important to me and I'd like to see DuckDuckGo show an interest in it as it's fascinating, perhaps even offer duckduckgo.i2p for access to the site.

The I2P IRC is #i2p and #i2p-dev at irc.freenode.net and irc.oftc.net. Either works, they are relayed.
YellowApple
I nominate OpenBSD. They could really use the funding (they almost went kaput until a few companies and individuals - myself included - pitched in earlier this month), and the project is the source of numerous other important FOSS projects, including (and especially) OpenSSH.
posted by YellowApple 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I nominate I2P. (https://geti2p.net/)
It offers safe communication and doesn't get funded enough despite having a very dedicated group of developers. Lots of other similar projects get $3-4 million while I2P relies on generous donations. (Which it desperately needs more of!) I use it daily.
mintsoft
OpenSSL! Surely one of the most important, widely used and under appreciated libraries in use today.
posted by mintsoft Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
ScreapDK
I definitely agree with this one! : )
Great idea!
Two
Xiph! The Xiph.Org Foundation have created & developed many FOSS audio and video codecs, including the widely used, extremely awesome Opus codec, the OGG/OGV codecs, and even fucking FLAC!

Two
Open audio and video are such extremely important things to develop if we ever want to have a truly free web.
anonymous
I'd also like to nominate I2P. With governments spying on everyone darknets are more important than ever.
anonymous
zac
Someone nominated http://piwik.org/ via twitter. Posting on their behalf since I don't see it in the thread :)
ScreapDK
I'd like to nominate Piwik, too! : ) It's a great alternative to Google Analytics! It gets creepy when so many websites you visit lets Google know about it. : (
And it gets even creepier when you realize the site owners can see stats in REAL TIME! : O
ErichBlank
I2P really needs support! It's like the next-generation of Tor. Bittorrent, Decentralized filesystems, serverless email, it has it all!
posted by ErichBlank 4 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
I also nominate I2P! (https://geti2p.net/) I2P is an anonymous overlay network - a network within a network. It is intended to protect communication from dragnet surveillance and monitoring by third parties such as ISPs. I2P is used by many people who care about their privacy: activists, oppressed people, journalists and whistleblowers, as well as the average person.

Currently, I2P isn't getting any money from companies, charities or government.

I2P has ambitious goals but it needs money to grow and really develop it to make it even more user friendly like Tor. Please support I2P.
anonymous
I nominate I2P, because this project is doing great work against user tracking and NSA. It really pushes forward privacy and human rights. Free code license is also importrant.
anonymous
I would like to nominate I2P too, while Tor already has sponsors and is mainly made to access the web anonymously, I2P focuses on much needed "hidden services" (eepsites) and is technically much better at this than Tor.
anonymous
I'd like to nominate i2p. With growing censorship concerns and the dark spectre of net neutrality hanging over all of us I feel that the i2p networks focus on true anonymity and protection for free speech activists and oppressed people worldwide is a great thing, and while there are many worthwhile projects out there this one has the potential to realize a secure, open platform capable of withstanding surveillance and exploitation, unlike some others.
anonymous
i2p because obvious
anonymous
i2p because this is the future of the Internet
anonymous
I2P, it's a small relatively under appreciated anonymity network that has a lot of potential if it was given more love. Bring developers too if you can.
anonymous
i2p because:

1) Till proven the contrary it's the only one the it's still safe
2) Because it's free software
3) Because it works
4) Because it needs improvements
anonymous
The Snowden Documents (in particular the "TOR Stinks" presentation) seem to confirm that that they can't break Tor.
anonymous
Clearly i2p. They're the safest source currently for encrypted web access.
anonymous
I vote for I2P. Because I think it is my way to construct a better world for the future. Right now the world is very very black and unknown and I2P throws some more hope into our lives.

Privacy is absolutely necessary. It is needed to add pressure against the movement towards the clearance of communications. I2P brings us crypto comunications, anticensorship will.

My vote is for I2P.
zac
ScreapDK
Haha, Zac! : P I'm not sure I fully get it to be perfectly honest! ; P

BTW, I had to split the GIF-file into its separate frames, to be able to read the text (I read slowly, I always have... Damn Tourette's! Or is it the OCD? I'm not sure! : P).... Anyway, I found this awesome site that does exactly that!

I found it via this site, which could be a great inspiration for some new !Bangs!

TL:DR:
Great ideas for !bangs to be found here:
http://imgops.com/
anonymous
I vote for coreboot and replicant.
anonymous
I too vote for I2P.

How many different projects can one user sugest?
How many will be suppotrted in the end? one or two or more?

If I can nomiate more than one:

- I2P - because privacy/anonymity matters, and unlike tor which has plenty of money, I2P does not have big sponsors and was never government-funded. It has grown substantially lately, so it's not a dead project. Also it's seeing more and more academic review. Adittionally, it's fully decentralized/distributed

- I2p-Bote: serverless (Bote-net-internal) e-mail: it's end-to end encrypted (privacy/security) and serverless. Unlike PGP it encrypts metadata too and it cannot be taken down since there is no server

- twister a secure and anonymos twitter based on bitcoin and bittorrent

Thank you.

- OpenBSD - blob-free, purely open source / free software with focus on security
anonymous
personally tor, i2p, gnupg, and replicant need all the (open source) help they can get... if I had to choose one. I would be stuck between tor and i2p.
ErichBlank
gnupg is pretty rock solid. tor has a lot of existing benefactors. i2p needs the help.
anonymous
I suggest
* Xiph.org
* GIMP (especially now that photoshop is requiring subscriptions)
* Tor Project
* OpenBSD
ErichBlank
Tor has plenty of money, compared to other important projects
anonymous
Big +1 on Gimp for me.
anonymous
* I forgot to add ReactOS
anonymous
Hi,

I'd like to echo the nominations for i2p. The i2p project has proven remarkably successful for having such a tiny budget. Even one paid developer (and the publicity from a DuckDuckGo award) could be remarkably productive. The i2p network is an excellent complement to Tor and may be the best solution for providing some privacy for peer-to-peer file sharing.

There are also many great "privacy-by-design" technologies being developed for the i2p network (e.g. i2pbote - an encrypted decentralized email alternative)

https://geti2p.net/

ErichBlank
I don't think anyone has gotten paid, other than bounties. I2P is hardcore, no one needs a salary. The donations they CLEARLY deserve from DDG should go towards important bounties, and that should be openly discussed and decided. Personally, I think the bounties should focus on a more secure DNS system, such as I2P-adapted Namecoin. The money should also be use to encourage more widespread adoption. Tor is great, but it doesn't have torrents and eMule.
anonymous
Xiph.org and The Document Foundation.
anonymous
LibreOffice and GIMP/Inkscape, improving these products will make migration to Linux easier.

Blender, also to eliminate barriers created by proprietary software like Unity3d (no plans for Linux client).

Projects like Firefox and Tor have sufficient funding for now.

I'd also like to add Primecoin, the first cryptocurrency with a fair distribution of money and no centralization that isn't wasting energy on stupid hashing (does pseudoscientific work instead).
ScreapDK
Yeah, LibreOffice and Inkscape would be awesome, too! : D
I use Inkscape all the time! : D It's a great alternative to Illustrator! : )
chtfn
I like the following ones:
* Openshot
* Jitsi
* LMMS
* Qtractor
* Mixxx
* OpenStreetMap
* MusicBrainz
posted by chtfn 4 years and 8 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 8 months ago
ScreapDK
I'll vote for GIMP, too! : P
anonymous
Should start accepting crypt-currencies. I know many who would toss some Bit/Doge or Lite at ddg.
Two
DDG accepts bitcoin via their donation page

https://duck.co/help/company/donations
anonymous
http://www.publiclab.org/

This is a non-profit that is doing some great environmental work in a very creative way. Shannon Dosemagen is one of the most creative people I know. They are well worth supporting for their community efforts across the U.S. and other countries as well. Small group with lots of community support and ideas. Highly recommended. Thanks.
anonymous
anonymous
#youbroketheinternet is an initiative that needs your support
anonymous
For a theme, Mobile related FOSS.
Hence:
F-Droid https://f-droid.org/ for their continuing endeavors and commitment to host the FOSS we all love.
or
Replicant http://redmine.replicant.us/projects/rep... for its efforts to bring a truly FOSS OS to the mobile platform.
preemeijer
Just a short list in no specific order: Gimp ,VideoLAN, i2p
posted by preemeijer Community Leader4 years and 8 months ago Link
StylusEater
Just projects ... how about conferences like YAPC:NA?
posted by StylusEater 4 years and 8 months ago Link
hunterlang
I'll second http://www.publiclab.org/ -- i think they have a unique stance in the community and are doing cool stuff for tech.
posted by hunterlang 4 years and 8 months ago Link
speedy99
Please support Python (the programming language), Django and jQuery.
posted by speedy99 4 years and 8 months ago Link
0x539
If multiple votes are allowed, I vote for Python, too.
posted by 0x539 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I vote for I2P because it is perspective project that provides easy, safe and anonymous communication layer. I2P dev team in need for donations.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
0x539
I vote for TOR project.
posted by 0x539 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I2P is based on Java (far as I know). Not a fan of Java and am reluctant to pump any funds into a project that relies on Java. So this holds me back from supporting I2P.
anonymous
I'd like to nominate RaspberryVI (http://raspberryvi.org/).

RaspberryVI is a FOSS project run by blind programmers to make the Raspberry Pi accessible to blind people. Turns out the stock version of Linux provided is severely hamstrung in this regard, essentially locking out blind and partially sighted people from the Raspberry Pi and its drive to educate people about computing and programming. They've been making great progress recently, but don't yet get any backing from the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I think they'd be a great project to support as a small amount of support could go a really long way, and the publicity garnered could bring more volunteers out of the woodwork.

As for a theme, what about "Control your own computers"?
anonymous
It's a grim age we live in. Draconian copyright laws are being used to attack anything, even public Internet libraries. So my vote goes to I2P - an invaluable tool that helps protect the privacy of its users AND makes anonymous websites possible.
yegg
Thank you all for your comments! We just made and posted our donations for this year under the theme of secure communications: https://duck.co/blog/foss2014
posted by yegg Staff4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
This user account has been deleted.