How much would it cost if DDG were to offer a service that doesn't give you ads?

Two Two
Created: 4 years and 5 months ago
Reddit has a service that does this and it's called Reddit Gold. It costs 4 dollars a month, but you also get a shit ton of other Reddit Gold features as well.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
You can turn ads off in the settings or use an adblocker. We have no reason to offer a paid version, it would only take more time away from solving real issues.

You might also want to check the help page on ad blocking: https://duck.co/help/settings/adblockers
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 5 months ago Link
Two
I'd rather pay for a service without ads than just disable then. I don't like the idea of robbing a website that I like and use on a daily basis of its revenue.
posted by Two 4 years and 5 months ago Link
x.15a2
But, since DDG freely allows you to disable the ads, there's no theft or robbery involved
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
Two
We're delving into philosophy here but while you may fell that way I do not.
ScreapDK
Hi Two, you could always choose to donate to DDG, if you feel turning off ads is robbery/theft. : )

Personally, I 'flattr'* DDG once in a while.
*Meaning donating through the service of the same name.
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
zac
Can't speak to a specific number because we just don't know :\ Not very many people would opt for it, though, since they're expecting a search engine to be free.

Beyond no ad, what other features would be expected? Just a thought experiment.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 5 months ago Link
Two
Hm, that's a hard one. What other features could a search engine provide other text, image search, and no ads?
zac
That's part of the issue--most things are expected to be free anyway. Any features we build would be generally awesome for everyone and we'd want to give them to everyone for free :)
Two
What about the ability to test new features before they get released to the public?
zac
We plan on bringing back the beta testers email list that we had before. It's still around but we haven't used it in a while--I think the last time was during the mobile app development. In that case--it would still be free, though.
Spreading DDG is always the most valuable thing. Maybe a t-shirt would line up w/ what you're thinking? People will ultimately approach you to ask about the awesome duck on your shirt so you'd be doing the community a favor :) http://duckduckgo.merchmo.com/
Two
Damn, to bad you guys don't sell stickers or have other T-Shirt designs.

Actually, I could probably make you guys a new design or two. Is there a vector of the logo anywhere?
zac
We do have stickers too!

Stickers

On other designs, we're planning to add more to the store shortly. If you have any ideas, though, feel free to post them, especially non-traditional DDG logo designs :)

some inspiration! http://www.quora.com/Brands-and-Branding...
Two
Alright, you do have stickers. Why isn't everything at least listed under one page? I understand that you're going through different places for different stuff (shirt company for shirts, sticker company for stickers, etc), but it would be great to have a page that lists everything.

In regards to shirts, a simple idea I just had is to sell polos with the duck embroidered into the shirt (where icons are normally embroidered) or even just DDG.
x.15a2
Quote:
Alright, you do have stickers. Why isn't everything at least listed under one page? I understand that you're going through different places for different stuff (shirt company for shirts, sticker company for stickers, etc), but it would be great to have a page that lists everything.

All available item types are listed at: https://duck.co/help/community/swag

Quote:
In regards to shirts, a simple idea I just had is to sell polos with the duck embroidered into the shirt (where icons are normally embroidered) or even just DDG.

I'm thinking that no matter how much merch is made available, someone would still want something else. I'd rather see the guys working on developing a great search engine. I think I'll go buy a new coffee cup!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
Two
Just because people "want something else" doesn't mean you should limit options.
zac
We're working on having all merchandise shipped from the same vendor so you can order from the same site. That's already underway so shouldn't be long.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 5 months ago
Two
yes, discussed but not answered.
psatish
$1

x 12 = $12 a year

x number of subscribers = possible revenue

? the dollar usually reflects the state of the economy
posted by psatish 4 years and 5 months ago Link