win8.1 IE 11 shows duckduckgo as unavailable when configuring search engines

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 10 months ago
I have tried to find out how to set duckduckgo as the ie 11 default. I can set it in the 'internet options' selection, but in 'manage add-ons' it says duckduckgo is unavailable, yet the 'store' has a duckduckgo app.

Why oh why does it have to be this stupid to configure a web browser to use a preferred search engine?

Help...please..quack quack?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Mallart
Have you tried clicking on 'add as a browser' located bottom right of duckduckgo.com?

posted by Mallart 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
I have tried this. IE reverts to it's default, Bing, and trying to eliminate Bing has been impossible. I do use other browsers, Firefox and Opera. I have tried to change the Permissions from TrustedInstaller ( in Win8) and i thought I succeeded. At this point I am looking to see if it is just me having difficulties with some configuration issue I don't understand or does Win 8/IE 11 block, or make it difficult to configure preferences?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
Mallart
You can change the search engine default in the 'search provider' found in the 'manage add-on'. Get duckduckgo from 'manage add-on' by clicking on 'find more search providers', you'll a whole wack of options. From the list search manually for DDG to add to your 'search provider'.

But you mentioned about a message saying DDG is unavailable, are you still encountering that? If so can you provide a screenshot of that said message?
posted by Mallart 4 years and 10 months ago Link
anonymous
somehow I have been able to get a new duckduckgo page for each new search , but not just the header/ search bar, the entire page.

I have both a noscript and ghostery plugin, trying to be more secure.

I can't get to my duckduckgo settings because it keeps asking about 'cloud' settings which I do not want or have yet I can't get to the familiar configuration settings as this cloud or sync nonsense is interfering with simple setting of preferences.

Should I dump noscript and let all the java bugs load?

Why can't it just allow modest user preferences without the cloud/sync/java all unwanted stuff????

any help please
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
The normal site (and settings) do not function at all with javascript. You should whitelist DDG in noscript, remove noscript to use the full version, or use https://duckduckgo.com/params for settings and https://duckduckgo.com/html to search.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Name DuckDuckGo
Status Default
Listing order 1
Search suggestions Not Available
Top result Not Available

Name Ixquick HTTPS
Status
Listing order 2
Search suggestions Enabled
Top result Not Available

Name Google
Status
Listing order 3
Search suggestions Enabled
Top result Not Available

Best I can do as a screenshot, but note that duckduckgo shows as not available. I can set the homepage to duckduckgo, but I would like to understand how I can actually set the search engine I want to the default from the manage add-ons menu. Is there a configuration setting/checkbox that allows me to set a search engine that IE blocks otherwise?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
lasixfive
If you're having problems with IE, might aswell try another browser, IE can be a pain sometimes.
posted by lasixfive 4 years and 10 months ago Link
TV
Install Firefox.
posted by TV 4 years and 10 months ago Link