Blank Results When Searching Sugar Related Things

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 11 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 11 months ago
I found some phrases results in blank page only showing one yellow advertisement result. I'm dunno if this happens with other words as well but I only found it in phrases using the word "sugar". Try some of the search results below.

tomato sugar
carbohydrate sugar
yadda yadda sugar

What's funny is that it works fine if you put the word sugar first, like sugar tomato. Does this happen to anyone else? How do I fix this?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TV
Yes I just test it and it seems you are right. If i put "tomato sugar" page wont finish loading, but if i search for "sugar tomato" I even get instant answer listed in search results.

This should be tested on other queries too. Thanks for report !
posted by TV 3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
I replicated this from Windows 7 64Bit using current versions of IE, FF and Opera, using the search raw sugar. While attempting to load results, both FF and Opera report
Quote:
Connecting to duckduckgo.com
then
Quote:
Sending request to rundmc.duckduckgo.com

After testing this a few times, duckduckgo.com became unresponsive and unavailable. Strange
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Same here, ddg became unavailable for 10-20 mins.
Sugar is too delicious for a duck!
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
For those who are watching their calories, the seach raw stevia works just fine! :)
TV
Ha!
Two
Stevia is fucking awesome.
posted by Two 3 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
I'm a bit confused. I see results for

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=yadda+yadda+su...

What browser/OS?
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Hey @yegg,
I'm getting the same results as reported using Windows 7 with current versions of FF, SRWare Iron and Opera. I can replicate this on my home workstations and my office workstations (different ISPs and different DNS providers).

I've also replicated it on my Android phone, using FF browser.

I was testing this (hoping to do a video capture), using your provided search, and let the search just set there and now I am unable to connect to duckduckgo.com from any of my browsers.

Interestingly, my original search term, raw sugar, which was failing, now works. But other's that I've tried, including yadda yadda sugar and granulated sugar currently fail.

Once I'm able to get to duckduckgo.com, I'll attempt the video capture. Please let me know if I can provide any additional details.
ScreapDK
I can replicate this, too!
I get the following results:

Searching for "[b]tomato sugar[/b]" returns no results. Firefox reads "Connects to rundmc.duckduckgo.com" (loosly translated from Firefox' Danish UI). Instant Answer works.

Searching for "[b]sugar tomato[/b]" do return results. *

Searching for "[b]raw sugar[/b]" returns no results. *

Searching for "[b]raw stevia[/b]" do return results.*

Searching for "[b]carbohydrate sugar[/b]" returns no results. *

Searching for "[b]yadda yadda sugar[/b]" returns no results. *

Now I cannot connect to duckduckgo.com at all.
*Didn't get to test this before it was too late, as took a break away from the computer to eat, to discover that I can't connect, when I got back.

I've run all test only on my laptop at home in Firefox v27.0.
It seems that I cannot connect to duckduckgo.com (and also ddg.gg, dgg.gg), across all browser being Firefox (currently latest stable, v27.0) Internet Explorer v11, Yandex Browser (v13.x), Opera (v12.16) and Chrome (v32.0.x)
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 11 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Forgot to mention all micro-sites (and other DDG-owned sites) are working just fine. This includes the following sites:
donttrack.us, dontbubble.us, fixtracking.com, whatisdnt.com, duckpan.org, replaceawordinafamousquotewithduck.com and privatebrowsingmyths.com.

BTW, if you guys haven't seen the latter one (i.e. Private Browsing Myths), then you should definitely go check it out! : D
zac
Looking into it! Thanks for the examples! (and the PBM mention) :)
posted by zac Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link
ScreapDK
Great! You're welcome!

BTW, duckduckgo.com has been working since around 2 min. after I posted the comment about the micro-sites (in other words just over half an hour).

...you see, I got distracted by the content of the exiting and fantastic virtual space called "the Internet!" 😝 😜
zac
You're not alone :)
ScreapDK
Okay, one last update before I'm heading to bed...

duckduckgo.com now works again (fortunately : P) on my laptop!
TV
off topic: i didnt know there is dgg.gg short domain as well :D thanks
ScreapDK
Yeah, not many people do (I guess), the original or "official" if you like, is ddg.gg, after all.

The reason it was created was to prevent Typo-Squatting of the original, because you can easily hit the wrong key combination. : )

...which I actually used to do all the time. : P So I eventually suggested DuckDuckGo buying the dgg.gg-domain to prevent potential abuse.

Hope that clarifies! : )
TV
Wisely done my friend ! :)
yegg
Nice catch everyone! This should be fixed now.
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link
x.15a2
Yeah!!! My sugary searches are working now. SWEET!

Thanks!
zac
It should be noted that this was an extremely weird bug so, when @yegg says, "nice catch" ---he really means it :) We were talking about how awesome it is that ya'll found this edge case.
TV
Awesome, it works!