XMPP federation problems with jabber.ru

shmerl shmerl
Created: 5 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 5 years and 1 month ago
Hi.

There seems to be some problem with XMPP federation with jabber.ru. I can't access any chat rooms at conference.jabber.ru and can't communicate with any contacts from there using my dukgo.com account. Can you please look into it?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
I'm not sure of the specifics, but jabber.ru in particular does not like our new(ish) certificate.
Quote from MattJ:
the certificate is valid by all accounts, but jabber.ru still doesn't like it
the fun part being that jabber.ru does allow you to connect with invalid certificates
or none at all, as far as I know
when we connect to them, jabber.ru tells us we can authenticate using our certificate
so we try, and then it tells us it failed ("haha, only kidding!")

I don't believe there is anything we can do about it.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 1 month ago Link
shmerl
So, you are saying it's a problem on their side? I can try contacting them, thanks.
posted by shmerl 5 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
An update on this issue. After a lot of time spent debugging, an ejabberd guru came to our aid. The issue is a couple of bugs with the version of ejabberd that jabber.ru is running (the latest, 13.x). Some other ejabberd servers using this version are also unreachable from dukgo.com due to this.

Fixes have been submitted to the ejabberd project on Github: processone/ejabberd pull request #174 - many thanks to Holger for tracking down the bugs and fixing them. Hopefully they will be accepted and merged into the next ejabberd release, and jabber.ru will upgrade.

In the meantime I am looking at adding an exception to dukgo.com to force it to always use DNS-based authentication instead of certificates until it is fixed. This will result in a less secure connection to jabber.ru, but it is presumably better than no connection at all...
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 10 months ago Link
shmerl
Thanks for the update, great news!
posted by shmerl 4 years and 9 months ago Link