Weird search results/nearly all viruses

waterlubber waterlubber
Created: 4 years and 6 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 6 months ago
I don't have a virus, but sometimes when I search for, say, "drivers for potato flash drive" I always get a link that says "Drivers for Potato Flash Drive CLICK HERE to download the driver manager" Perhaps we can add a bad result tool to the engine, so when we find a virus link/survey link, etc. user won't have to see it, or can add it to their add ons. Web of Trust tracks you, so this would be great! It would also be part of DuckDuckGo only, and we might get more users...

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TV
You can submit bad result by giving a feedback on search result page

[http://i.imgur.com/IvTSShu.png]
posted by TV 4 years and 6 months ago Link
waterlubber
That's nice to know! Thanks!
posted by waterlubber 4 years and 6 months ago Link
bluewillow991967
Yeah, lately when I start searching for stuff on DDG, almost all of the first page is dumb links that obviously just plugged my search terms into their page and generated a, "Hey! You searched for purple blbbgzles! Buy purple blbbgzles on Ali-effing-baba and superaggregator crapola dot com!"

It's obvious they're taking the search terms, rapidly robo-generating a page that has those terms in it, and it's a fake page. Isn't there some way to screen these out from real results OR to push robo-generators off the first couple of pages of results or something?
posted by bluewillow991967 4 years and 6 months ago Link
bluewillow991967
Or, better, give the user an option to activate blacklisting of known robogenerators? If they're using code to fake a hit on search terms, then they already know they don't have what the user is really looking for and they don't care.

"Blacklist" is a scary word, but think of it as a very selective kind of user-driven "bubble" request. A whole lot of users would like to filter out robo-generators. So while philosophically you might oppose blacklisting anyone, if it were driven by a user-checkbox filter where the "list" was any domain you know robo-generates pages, then it's really more a way of refining user search terms.

I know I would choose to include "no known robots" as a filter in almost all of my searches if there was an easy way to specify it.
posted by bluewillow991967 4 years and 6 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
We do try to filter spammy sites like this for everyone (and it successfully kills a lot!), so keep the examples flowing, here, in feedback, and through the "Report bad results" button (screenshot above). Those should all go to train the spam filter after we check out each case.

User-specific blacklists (i.e. a "kill these domains" setting) is also an oft-requested feature--definitely on the TODO.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 6 months ago Link
waterlubber
How do these sites get out search terms? This worries me...
You search, thinking it's anonymous, for lets see, How to turn a pig into a duck. A robogen website gets that term, and Google pays them 99999 Bitcoins to use that on their site. Boom, you get ads about pigs turning into ducks! DDG shouldn't send any search terms out...by the way, does DDG have a DNS server? I'm tired of Optimum's wrong URL page and...eew...them finding my website terms, Ill go look now.
posted by waterlubber 4 years and 6 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
They don't actually get your search terms at all, they spread links (automatically) to tons of common(-ish) queries like that at random, which search engines then index. Since they contain the exact query multiple times, they get appear quite relevant to search engines.

No, DDG does not run a DNS service, but there are a few public ones here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=public+dns

Personally, I use 74.82.42.42 -- Hurricane Electric. It was the first I found without a no-such-domain page, and it is quite reliable.
TV
Didnt know about /?q=public+dns - thanks! By the way where can I find the whole list of instant answers? As /goodies are not really up to date.
posted by TV 4 years and 6 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
There isn't a more up-to-date list at the moment, sadly. That is high-priority on the TODO now.