DDG "collecting information" ?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 11 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 11 months ago
I was surprised to see this.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/22/15-sit...

Here's the quote from that page: "Users visiting the Obama administration’s Healthcare.gov site are being tracked by 15 different sites via cookies installed on their browsers.

Using the Chrome browser plug-in Collusion for Chrome, The Daily Caller was able to determine that a user who visits the Obamacare site will have 15 different sites collecting information about them.

The sites include: polldaddy.com, googletagmanager.com, doubleclick.net, google-analytics.com, youtube.com, dnn506yrbagrg.cloudfront.net, ytimg.com, quantserve.com, chartbeat.com, google.com, bing.com, duckduckgo.com, pingdom.net, mxpnl.com and optimizely.com."

What up with that?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

godlikeGadgetry
I don't know...I'm starting to worry if DDG's the search engine I've been waiting for all this time...
posted by godlikeGadgetry 3 years and 11 months ago Link
zac
There's nothing going on here and we don't track. We don't have a mechanism to track on other websites either.

I just tried collusion and didn't see duckduckgo.com there so I'm not sure what the author is talking about or seeing.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link
godlikeGadgetry
Guess who's relieved. This guy.
posted by godlikeGadgetry 3 years and 11 months ago Link
crazedpsyc
Collusion shows connections to third parties which could potentially be tracking, not definite trackers (as there is no way to distinguish).
Who knows why healthcare.gov would load something from duckduckgo.com, but it is certainly not related to DDG. And of course, since it is such a fantastic site, I can't access it at all to see what it is doing at the moment.
posted by crazedpsyc 3 years and 11 months ago Link
yegg
Just to reiterate, we have absolutely no connection to healthcare.gov.

Also, we don't collect or store any personal information as per our privacy policy.

We do have an open API (https://api.duckduckgo.com/) that anyone could call, but that is not a tracker as it is completely anonymous on our end like everything else. That said, I don't even see them using that so I have no idea what this is about. Seems like a mistake.
posted by yegg Staff3 years and 11 months ago Link