Block Sites from Search Returns

Ayawisgi Ayawisgi
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 3 months ago
Yes, I know people have rasied this issue before*, but I'd like to do so in a much more aggressive way.

If DDG wants to make a splash (pun intended) in the search engine space, the single most important feature DDG should implement is a client-side ability to tell the DDG search engine which sites to continually omit from search results.

Between SEO-driven keyword pollution and content-farm pollution and pollution created by affiliate marketing on sites like Amazon it's almost impossible to conduct clean searches any more. Much worse, however, is the fact that I know in advance that I do not want any search returns, ever, from many sites that rank highly because of SEO abuse, yet even on the cutting edge of computer use the option to exclude known search carcinogens is unavailable to me. (I believe Google does offer something along these lines, but not surprisingly it's only for people who stay logged in.) How is it even possible that this is not a normal function in almost every search engine? (The que$tion obviou$ly an$wer$ it$elf.)

The advantages of allowing me to omit any search returns from Wikihow or most of the 'Answers" sites is that I get better search results, which is what you want me to get from your search engine. This may not be what Google wants because it hurts their own money-grubbing business, but DDG doesn't seem to be in the advertising business so why not offer this to users? It's a KILLER APP in the search market.

Give me the individual ability to black-list sites and over time I'm going to auto-improve my own search returns more than you will ever be able to do for me. I know I don't ever want to hear from various news sites, various how-to sites and various marketing sites. I will never value them as a reference or trust their content, yet I still have to sift through that drivel in order to find hits that are of genuine interest.

Do this. Put it on the front burner, roll it out, have people give you feedback and make this work. You will not believe how much press it gets you and how quickly many nefarious content providers will start squealing. There's no excuse for not making this happen. Hell, there's no excuse for not making this the central feature of DDG that distinguishes it from all other search -- along with your we-don't-track-you ethic.

* https://duck.co/forum/thread/2622/is-it-...

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

TV
Well temporarily way to manage this is to use syntax - (minus)

Eg:

you search for "test" https://duckduckgo.com/?q=test

Yet you dont want to see results from speedtest.com

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=test+-speedtes...
posted by TV 4 years and 3 months ago Link
zac
This does work in some cases but it's spotty, depending on the sources used for that particular result set (since some don't support it).
posted by zac Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link
TV
I am just trying to give alternative solution while developers are working on main thing. I agree there should be feature to black list domain(s) completely from search results.
Ayawisgi
I do apprecaite the response/suggestion.

I'm also glad you believe that allowing users to black-list sites on an ongoing and individaul basis is a good idea.

We need more people on this site to make this a priority. DDG has all the assets they need to implement this, even on a testing/beta basis, but they have to make that commitment and it's often hard to get any bureaucracy to change course.

My hope is that they're serious about giving users what they want, and that if more users realize this is possible they will want it in a BIG way.

It goes to the very heart of search utility, as anyone who's ever tried to find legit reviews of any product can attest.
posted by Ayawisgi 4 years and 3 months ago Link
Ayawisgi
I know it's possible to exclude on a case-by-case, search-by-search basis, but that's not what I want DDG (or any search engine) to provide me with. What I want is a scripted/automatic process by which I can negate sites from all future searches, and I think the magnitude of change this would usher into searh is incredibly undervalued.

Imagine if you can kill off all the search hits from a content farm at once. One click, and you will never see their content again -- much of which is probably bad, wrong or deceptive. If you're the only person making that choice, it doesn't change much. But what if millions of people make that same choice? Your entire business model begins to teeter precisely becasue the world is giving you the feedback you so richly deserved.

There is NO valid reason that this kind of user-centric option has not become standard in browsers or search engines. The main reason it hasn't happened is because search is a for-profit enterprise for the most part, and the users are not the actual customers. DDG is perfectly positioned to change this paradigm because DDG doesn't track user data. (I"m assuming here that DDG is not into the sponsored-content dodge, but maybe that's not the case.)

If search is supposed to be honest, what's more honest than letting people filter out the spam and SEO abuse that we all know clogs the internet? Do this. Change the paradigm.
posted by Ayawisgi 4 years and 3 months ago Link
TV
Quote:
I know it's possible to exclude on a case-by-case, search-by-search basis, but that's not what I want DDG (or any search engine) to provide me with. What I want is a scripted/automatic process by which I can negate sites from all future searches, and I think the magnitude of change this would usher into searh is incredibly undervalued.

DDG is highly customizable search engine and it will continue to be like that.

The biggest problem at the moment is lack of people willing to develop this awesome site, so you might wait longer for ideas to be realized (live).
I am pretty sure every idea that make sense will be developed after a while.
zac
We've been considering a settings-based approach.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 3 months ago Link
Aramith
I have to admit I have never though about a search results black list.
What an incredibly powerful tool this would be, I want this to happen so much.

I know I should not be saying this but sometimes I have to Google my search because of the way Google works, I know the result will be easier to find.
This make me feel dirty.

I want to be clean DDG, I WANT TO BE CLEEEEEEEAN!
posted by Aramith 4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, this is a great idea, the problem which this solution would address is part of why i've found myself looking for new search engines (coming from Google), which can give me less biased (payed results or results which appears due to SEO abuse) results
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Honestly, what you're looking for (strictly from the client-side) would essentially be like offering a cheafur and four-cousrse meal to Click-Jackers and Hosts file manipulators, etc..

Since the server side has really no way of verifying for certain whether or not the search query you've sent it was the same as what you had typed in... Of course, there's got to be weys to overcome this- And implement what you're asking for too...

What I'm thinking- is enabling a quick "Results Mode" combo-box drop down, or combo-button drop down where pre-set 'minus' modes are automatically created without having to type everything...

Ex: You want to search for a video on the internet- but not on youtube.com...
So you click the "NoTube" preset, and instead of just sending "Whatever my search query was", it auto-tacks on the " "-youtube.com" piece, and submits the search...

ACTUALLY, What might work great- would be to have a second input field after the search box that let's you add "-youtube.com, -disney.com, -espn.com;" parameters- and then it auto-appends those for the duraton of your browsing session...

The only other thing I could really tell ya right now is that, formulating a search string that returns what you were looking to find, Truly *IS* an art...
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I really want this feature too! In germany I have to search always with -chip.de -giga.de cause these pages are spamming any software relatet search. Please give this feature to us and you'll be the best search in the internet!
posted by <hidden> • 2 years and 9 months ago Link