I don't want Google Chrome on my computer at all. How?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 9 months ago
I thought I deleted Google Chrome from my computer the other day. I had noticed a Google symbol had popped up near my power icon, at the top of my screen. I have no idea why this had happened and I certainly wasn't asked. So I just wanted creeping Google off my computer.

So I deleted Google from my apps, or so I thought. I was using Firefox which was so slow as to be useless. So I searched around for other web applications in my computer. There was a Google Chrome symbol, and when I clicked it it started up. I am currently using Google Chrome to find an alternative to it.

I found DuckDuck, great! But all I can manage to do is set it up as my homepage on Chrome - I don't want Google Chrome anywhere in my computer at all. Is there a good non-Chrome, non-Windows, non-Firefox search engine app that can be relied on, where I can have DuckDuck as my homepage? Doesn't DuckDuck do this? If so, I can't see where.

All advice welcome.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
You are mixing up "search engine" and "web browser." A search engine is a website which lets you search for other websites. A web browser is a program on your computer which loads and displays websites for you. DuckDuckGo is a search engine, not a web browser.

This website should help you remove Chrome: http://wikihow.com/Uninstall-Google-Chro...

Have you tried Pale Moon for a web browser? It is like Firefox, but extremely optimized for Windows.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you, crazedpsyc. It doesn't surprise me to learn I am confusing things. I think you have made matters clearer for me.

Okay, so what I am after is a web browser that after I install it on my computer has an icon I can find somewhere, I can click on, and then the web browser loads, and I can search for stuff on the web by the web browser searching for me (maybe by accessing search engines?) and then displaying results. So far so good (?).

What I would really like if is the web browser does just that, and no more. It must not enable others to spy on me, and, very importantly, it must not even want to connect up to my email/social media/or anything else about me. It must not start putting things into my computer without asking me.

Google Chrome seems to fail on all these.

Pale Moon doesn't sound right for me. I use a mac, which has Firefox on, but that is painfully slow. I also bought a PC recently and because of Windows 8 I was offered a refund which I took. So I don't use Microsoft/PC stuff.

Thank you very much, also, for the remove Chrome link. Before I do this I want to make sure I have another web browser in place and that I am happy with it. I don't want to be left with just Firefox, which I also can't wait to remove. I would also be very grateful for any other web browser suggestions you might have, given that I am now very averse to Microsoft/PCs.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
What I would really like if is the web browser does just that, and no more. It must not enable others to spy on me, and, very importantly, it must not even want to connect up to my email/social media/or anything else about me. It must not start putting things into my computer without asking me.

Any web browser can go to any web site, that's the purpose of the browser. Beyond that, it's responsibility of the user to control where they go and what gets installed.

I'd suggest staying with Firefox and make https://duckduckgo.com your home page. If FF is running slowly for you, disable any unneeded Add-ons because some are notorious for making FF run slowly. That's a matter of trial-and-error.

The program SpeedyFox may also help a bit with your FF speed issues: http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox (a Mac version is available)

Finally, you may want to visit DDG's web site http://fixtracking.com/ which suggests FF extensions that assist with reducing tracking by web sites.

Beyond that, you are beyond the scope of what can be addressed here and you will most likely find better answers on Mac support forums.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks a lot, crazedpsyc, all that is very helpful!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 9 months ago Link
Aramith
I like to second the idea of using the FF variant PALEMOON A fantastic browser.
And for added security add these addons:
Adblock Edge, for blocking advertisements on the web.
Ghostery, See who's tracking your web browsing and block them.
BetterPrivacy, Remove or manage a new kind of cookies, better known as LSO's.
Self-Destructing Cookies, Protects against trackers and zombie-cookies
NoScript Security Suite, Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.

These addon's are not difficult to master and don't cause any slow down (or at least not that I have noticed)

Hope this also helps.
posted by Aramith 4 years and 9 months ago Link