Google bang anonymity

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 5 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 5 years and 1 month ago
DuckDuckGo doesn't have a date filter and has suggested that we use !gyear or !gmonth to filter search results by date. When I do that, I get taken to a google page with my results. I understand that my initial search goes through DDG, but if I think click on any of the links in the google results page, are those anonymous as well? If not, then what is the advantage of using !gyear?

Also, DDG has said that they cannot do a date filter for some technical reasons, but I do not understand why they cannot take that page of google search results and display it on their own page to insure anonymity. Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

crazedpsyc
First: !bangs are not anonymous. They send you right to the end site, and are just for convenience. Google can still track you. The same goes for clicking any link from DDG's results--you just end up on a different site and they can do whatever they want.
We cannot use Google's results at all because of their licensing and terms of service.
posted by crazedpsyc 5 years and 1 month ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 1 month ago
toothy557
I often get bothered by why I care to use DDG. No, I'm not trying to hide secrets from the government *facepalm*. People are taking way too much for granted. When I die, I'd like my history to be carried with my grandchilden, not the hard drives of some stupid asinine web company.
posted by toothy557 5 years and 1 month ago Link
toothy557
Also, I like the duck, I'm addicted to the !bang, and everything else is just better than Google. Google is so freaking annoying. There's many reasons why I'd rather not use Google or Bing or Yahoo or whatever..
posted by toothy557 5 years and 1 month ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 5 years and 1 month ago