aren't DuckDuckGo Ads somewhat personalized

0x539 0x539
Created: 4 years and 2 months ago
I live in Germany. When I search for exampl for "Java" in DDG I get an advert in German even if I have set my language to english in the settings. This is kind of personalized, isn't it? And btw a lot of the sites of DDG's ads are categorised as dangerous by my Anti-Virus (Sophos).

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

toothy557
The ad server is probably associating your ip with language. For some reason I never see any ads -- I gave DDG an exception in my ad blocker's settings -- so I don't even know how the ads are being serviced myself.
posted by toothy557 4 years and 2 months ago Link
toothy557
I see sponsored links. Are those the ads?

Quote:
Free Java Download
Download Java for free, latest Version in English!
download-start.net/java
0x539
Yes. I didn't see any big difference (although they may not be what you expect to be an ad in the internet).
posted by 0x539 4 years and 2 months ago Link
toothy557
It's possible DDG is servicing the ads themself. Any request they're sent comes with an IP address anyway. It (mostly) doesn't matter unless they're sharing the IP with a 3rd party or they're storing the IP, even if they lookup the IP's geographical association during the time they service the ads. This looking thingy might be dangerous.
x.15a2
Do you have ads enabled or disabled in DDG's settings?
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
TV
Obviously enabled.
posted by TV 4 years and 2 months ago Link
x.15a2
dang, posted in wrong thread
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
toothy557
The fact they'e being categorized as dangerous might be a hint DuckDuckGo is actually taking obscure steps (tricky; usually used in harmful exploits) to keep you safe.
TV
Its just a coincidence, you can read more about DDG's ads here:
https://duck.co/help/company/advertising...
posted by TV 4 years and 2 months ago Link