DDG web page loads slowly in Google Chrome

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 4 years and 1 month ago
I am a new user, but have found that the DDG homepage loads very slowly under Google Chrome. Is there a solution for this?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

MildMallard
Get firefox. It's non-profit, has great privacy addons, and best of all it's not made by google!

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ne...

As for addons, get ghostery (blocks trackers) adblock plus (blocks ads), betterprivacy (blocks lso), duckduckgo plus (duckduckgo as default and other ducky tools), noscript (blocks scripts and prevents clickjacking), and flagfox (just a really convenient addon that allows quick access to ip lookup, internet archive, google translate, and all that good stuff).

posted by MildMallard 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
So you're saying that the only way to get your webpage to load faster is for me to change my browser?? That doesn't seem like very helpful advice, especially since I use a work computer
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
Hello,
Of course it is not necessary to use another browser to access DDG. Let's see if we can isolate this a bit. Remember, this is an open forum and most of the people that post here are giving their personal opinions that may not or do not reflect those of DuckDuckGo.

There have been very sporadic reports in the past of DDG loading slowing on various browsers, typically in the Pacific region, but these are typically short lived. Could you please provide your general location to help determine if there is some type of trend that needs to be looked at?

Also, is it only DDG that loads slowly when using Chrome or do you notice similar issues with other web sites? Is DDG loading slowing a constant issue or intermittent? Does it only happen in Chrome or is it slow when using IE as well?

I would suggest that you go into Chrome's settings and clear your browsing data (read any cautions before doing so) and also (temporarily) disable any extensions.

I'd like to give more definitive answer, I know that it can be frustrating, but it's very difficult to diagnose when the symptoms can't be repeated locally.

Thanks for using DDG!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Many thanks for your help. I live in Memphis, far away from the Pacific region (alas!). I also tried loading the page via Internet Explorer, and it loaded pretty much instantly. (In Chrome, it consistently takes in the neighborhood of 10 seconds to load). I took your advice and cleared the browsing data, and disabled the extensions. The latter seems to have done the trick. An extension was added without my knowledge (DefaultTab). Once I disabled this, the home page loaded without a problem. Thanks again!
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
:)
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 30 days ago Link
MildMallard
What I'm saying is when I used chrome ddg loaded slowly too.
Try it with firefox.
posted by MildMallard 4 years and 1 month ago Link
buckeye
I've read your orig post a couple of times, dont see where you said that. i use chrome alot and duck loads just fine for me. op wanted help with her or his existing setup
posted by buckeye 4 years and 1 month ago Link
MildMallard
Okay, okay, it was a suggestion.
I just don't understand why you would use duckduckgo search instead of google then use google chrome. Both farm data to google.
posted by MildMallard 4 years and 30 days ago Link
buckeye
i agree with that but the op says its a work computer so there may not be an option if admin has it locked down.
posted by buckeye 4 years and 30 days ago Link