I seem to be getting censored results; why?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 2 months ago
Hi, I'm doing a school project on racism in the internet, and I tried doing a search for the term "black" on a white supremacist website called "stormfront.org". My search looked like the following: black site:www.stormfront.org

However, I only got two results, both of which were for a man named "Don Black", so there's obviously a heck of a lot of content not showing up for my search. I have safe search turned off.

Is there some setting I can change to fix this? Is this a result of censorship from Duck Duck Go, or maybe censorship from one or more of its indexing sources (like Bing and whatnot?)

Thanks.

EDIT: I just checked, and even using DDG to search on that website for innoculous words like "because", it still just shows two results and then says it can't find any more results.

EDIT 2: Also, I just checked another thing. I searched for the same thing on Bing and Yahoo, and got tons of results on both. So clearly, DDG's sources aren't the one censoring. DDG...?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
I've pushed your questions for the DDG Devs, hopefully there will be an answer soon. I can speculate (guess): It seems that most of the hits that Bing is listing are from the site's forum area and ddg may be picking those up as duplicate hits. that's probably a horrible guess, so let's see what the Devs can tell us about this.

Thanks
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
Thanks for the report! When you do a site:search or a date-sorted search, the indexes are smaller and sometimes don't return as many results as you'd expect. We use multiple sources for our results (not just bing/yahoo) and we'll report this example upstream for a fix. When it's adjusted, the fix should flow through to us automatically.

posted by zac Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
caine
I've pushed a fix for this. It should be clear of the cache in a day or so. The site was getting caught in our content system that marked it as potentially unsafe and/or spammy. I've removed those checks when a user specifies intent like site search. Thanks for the report!

caine.
posted by caine Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link