Remove DDG from Safari

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 2 months ago
Hello.

I want to remove it because when I type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar I want Safari to go to my router not to a DDG search.
Also, I cannot get to my CCTV cameras anymore but that could be a coincidence.

I have tried the following to remove it but the extensions page is blank.

Uninstalling the DuckDuckGo plugin

Open Safari.
In the Safari menu, click Preferences.
Click on the tab Extensions.
Click the Uninstall button associated with the DuckDuckGo extension.

Many thanks in advance.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Is there anybody out there........?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago Link
x.15a2
This thread discusses the IP address issue that you are expeiencing:
https://duck.co/forum/thread/4798/localh...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Thanks, I shall work through that.
But how can DDG actually be removed?
anonymous
Right.

Look.

There must be someone in the community who can help me remove DDG from Safari?
I have installed it, and it does not work well for me, so I want it removed. Simple.
This search engine is now an infection in my otherwise almost perfectly working Mac.
For an application that claims to be so great, where is the support?

Safari 5.1.10
Max OSX 10.6.8
crazedpsyc
How did you add DDG? There are a variety of odd methods on the help page, but the extension is the main one.
posted by crazedpsyc 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I downloaded and installed the safari extension (duckduckgo.safarixtz) from the link on the DDG search page
zac
Where are you still seeing DuckDuckGo in your browser? Is it your homepage? Is it the default search engine?
There are plenty of people here who would like to help but we need more information since it could be a variety of things.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Cheers Zac,
Just ask me what you need to know.

I can see the ddg icon in the toolbar.
Anything other than a correct web address that I type in the address bar goes to a ddg search.

It is not my homepage.

As I understand it, ddg cannot integrate into the safari search box, the default there is Google.
zac
Thanks!

When you say there's nothing in the Extensions menu--do you mean it's completely blank (no text/buttons/etc.)? If so, it sounds similar to this issue: https://discussions.apple.com/message/16...

Also, from your post above, it seems like you're using an outdated version of Safari. The current version is 7. You could try updating (I believe it's compatible w/ Mac OSX 10.6.8) but I understand that it's a bit of a hassle so apologies for having to even troubleshoot this.
In the worst case, there's always the option to "Reset Safari" under the Safari dropdown menu (top left). If there's nothing you're trying to preserve, that's an option as well.
Of course, we'll try and troubleshoot your issue first! :)
anonymous
Many thanks Zac,
Yes, completely blank in extensions.
And yep I did think that the old version of Safari could be an issue, just not got round to updating it yet - got a bit confused about compatibility and left it..!
Shall look into those options and get back to you.
zac
Much appreciated!
anonymous
Ok, I tried the options to get the extensions pane showing in that thread but it didnt work, but ended up just going to
/ Library / Safari / Extensions
and removing DuckDuckGo.safarixtx from there.
It has worked so it seems, so thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction.
Regarding updating Safari, I dont think its possible on 10.6.8, looks like I have to update to Mavericks and I have heard a few bad things about it. This is interesting-

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/a...

Cheers
zac
:) Great to hear! We'll keep looking into any related issues and make any necessary updates.

Hopefully they don't end support for snow leopard but, thankfully, mavericks should be free to upgrade if you're on 10.6.8 already! That's a small plus :\