DDG Website Tile for Windows Phone 8

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 10 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 10 months ago
I have been using DDG as my primary search engine for about two years. Recently I acquired a Nokia Lumia 520 running Windows Phone 8. Since I am primarily an iOS user I have added DDG to my speeddial/top sites page in Safari. Similarly in Windows Phone I would like to "pin" the DDG website onto my homescreen for quick access (IE does not support DDG as a default). Unlike iOS, there is no custom DDG logo for WP. Instead, "pinning" the site simply causes a screenshot of the search page to appear. This is admittedly, an aesthetic problem but since I need to see this tile at all times on my homescreen it makes a difference. As a website admin I know that Apple uses a file called "apple-touch-icon.png" for this purpose. Windows Phone uses a different process that is documented here:

http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/10/19/creating-a-custom-tile-to-link-to-your-website.aspx

I realize that Windows Phone holds an insignificant share of the smartphone market and that you must prioritize other platforms, but this change appears fairly easy to implement and in my opinion, would be a major improvement.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Choca
Good idea
posted by Choca 3 years and 10 months ago Link
DanielVaughan
Hi there,

Just to let you know, Surfy for Windows Phone allows you to set DDG as your default search provider.
You can download Surfy for free
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/surfy/a5820177-5118-4f34-b8c1-6715289fc321

Cheers,
Daniel
posted by DanielVaughan 3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link