William Cullen's birthday - doodle

william.cullen.project william.cullen.project
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
Hello! I am a Project Assistant for the 'Cullen Project'

Dr William Cullen was probably Scotland's most prominent physician in the 18th century. He is the man who coined the word 'neurosis', and thanks to him the basis for home refrigeration were set. He was also the inventor of a bathing machine, and was known worldwide with students coming all the way from America to study under his supervision.

His birthday occurs on the 15th April. (I know - I'm early :/ )
Would it be possible to set up a doodle to celebrate him on that day? Please let me know. Unfortunately I'm not a 'designer', so perhaps there's someone who wants to try to create a duck-shape Cullen -> here is his portrait from which we could take inspiration:

Please do let me have guidance about how to do this - I'm new here!

Best,
Luca

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

william.cullen.project
Hello again,

I really love duckduckgo and I spread the word daily!
That said: I see the forum has a lively activity and members of staff often reply to bug/suggestions/ecc. I would really appreciate a reply to my post, even just for reading 'no, it's not possible - this is rubbish - just don't bother'. The Cullen Project is an important project funded by the British Arts and Humanities Research Council, and I thought that a Doodle on the eminent William Cullen would have been interesting. After all, I believe in community efforts and if every memeber brings his/her own 'two cents' perhaps we can create a more varied and interesting website as opposed as other search engines.

Anyway, with or without Cullen, keep up the hard work!

Thanks,
Luca
posted by william.cullen.project 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
This comment has been deleted.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
This is awesome! Sorry for the delayed reply--looks like this fell off the front page so I didn't get to see it until now. We'll ping @mwatermelon for his thoughts as well!
posted by zac Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
william.cullen.project
Amazing!!! Thanks a lot, zac. Do you think we're still in time for the 15th (Cullen's birthday)?Keep me posted!
Luca
mwatermelon
Oups, I didn't saw your post :/

I love the logo you made! :D

But I think it will be hard to distinguish all of the details in small format (because of the colors that are very similar and the textures).
This is why I re-made your logo with basic colors :

[http://gniii.org/files/duckduckgo/cullen2.png]

Are you ok with the changes?
posted by mwatermelon Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
william.cullen.project
Hey mwatermelon,

this is simply awesome.

I'm giving you Facebook, Twitter, and website :) .

https://twitter.com/DigitalCullen
https://www.facebook.com/thecullenprojec...
www.cullenproject.ac.uk/

Sorry for the stupid question: when people will click on the logo, will they be redirected to the Cullen Project website, or to a ddg search for "William Cullen"?

I can't believe this is really happening: I can't wait!

Keep me posted, whatever you need.

Thanks
Luca
zac
Awesome! We always link to a search so it will go to this page but we'll definitely announce your contribution on our facebook/twitter/reddit --and we can link back to your social sites/website where applicable.
william.cullen.project
Hello,

everything set for tomorrow? This is the announcement we'll put out on Facebook/newsletters as soon as we see the logo live, unless you tell me that it WILL go live for sure and I'll send it right now.

Thanks,
Luca

---

Celebrating William Cullen’s birthday

We have been working hard on finding new ways to celebrate Dr William Cullen’s birthday. Search engine duckduckgo have helped create a William Cullen logo for our favourite physician’s 304th! Check it out on www.duckduckgo.com A Cullen-theme home-page logo will only be available on the day (15th April 2014); if you want to view their archive of logos, including of course William Cullen’s, please visit https://duck.co/help/settings/holiday-lo...
Also do have a look at our ‘William Cullen’s Birthday’ blog-post, and don’t forget to follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/thecullenproject and Twitter https://twitter.com/DigitalCullen

---
zac
Apologies for the delayed reply. It doesn't look like this is going to go out in time. We'd like to spend some more time on the design and release it next year on the same date. We feel there's a lot more we can do to make this compelling for users and don't want to undersell it because we're rushing to get it out.
Happy to elaborate on any questions so we can clarify this for any future cases.
william.cullen.project
Thanks, zac, for getting back to me. I understand that our communication came rather late (though the reply came late too), and I also appreciate that you don't feel like under-selling it. At the same time I would really have appreciated knowing this a little in advance.
Being new to the ddg community, when I saw your logo and your enthusiasm we at the Project took for granted that it was simply happening. I'd not heard from you after having seen the prototype and all, so I assumed everything was in order, and alerted my colleagues for a great reception of the event.
This year the Cullen-logo would have been perfectly beneficial for the Cullen Project, since we are at a crucial point. By next year the project will be finished but… William Cullen will still be happy to be celebrated, I guess!
Thanks anyway for the effort and time.
zac
I'm truly sorry for any miscommunication--it's entirely my fault. I was trying to answer your question about where we would link to and gather the social sharing information so that if the design got approved, we wouldn't have to scramble on the attribution parts. Again, sincerest apologies for my lack of explanation. For this, it just will require a few more iterations to make it the best logo that it can be and we don't seem to have the bandwidth to do it in this limited timeframe.
This prompted an internal discussion of:
1. how we can speed up the logo approval/refinement/release process.
2. how we can supply logo creation guidelines for our community to follow.
so we're hoping that this doesn't repeat itself.
william.cullen.project
PS: I'm OK with it, I think it's great. This is the link to a letter, just in case you want to use it as a background as in my demo version:

Of course, if you think that with the background will look too rubbish, ignore my suggestion.

Thanks,
Luca
zac
Definitely not rubbish--just might be hard to use with smaller screens (since the duck will bleed into the background more).
@mwatermelon is the expert there but I've seen it a lot so am pretty confident that the parchment color will take away from the duck
TV
As always pretty dope design.
posted by TV 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
Indeed! Can you let mwatermelon (our logo designer) know if the adjusted version is okay? (should be above this comment)

Also, how should we give attribution for the design? If you have a twitter account, we can @ mention you there. Totally up to you (if you even want to stay anonymous).
william.cullen.project
Hi zac,

perhaps I had to reply to your post instead of that of watermelon. Anyway, the Twitter is

https://twitter.com/DigitalCullen. And we're now friends on Facebook ;) .

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best,
Luca