The problem with DuckDuckGo's one ad

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 11 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 11 months ago
Hello there.

I really like the DuckDuckGo search engine and what it stands for. I do have an adblocker installed. The single advertisement next to the DDG search window, I keep blocked, even though I have nothing against giving you back a little revenue for this amazing thing I can use.

However, your ads are rotated through Bing. I do not trust Microsoft. As far as I can see, these ads, just like most others on the web, are able to track potential identifying information to the advertiser, as well as to Microsoft.
This is of course 'neccesary' if advertisements are used in a CPV-model (cost per view, or cost per million views) since you need to know when the ad is seen or not.

I would really appreciate it if DuckDuckGo started providing their own advertisement service, which has the following features:
-Advertisements are loaded as an image, from the DDG servers (no requests to the advertisemers website is made, so they cannot track your IP, browser settings, referer, etc).
-Advertisements are loaded as an image, and not as a flash applet. (Flash has rules of its own, which normal browser settings cannot prevent against)
-Advertisements are paid through a pay-per-click (or pay-per-purchase) model, to ensure that no data needs to be sent to validate the ad cost.

If this would happen, I would be very happy. And I would also gladly open up a spot in my AdBlocker for it.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Ads are text. Just text. Always text. There is nothing at all but text. We would never ever put flash in there, nor are we a big fan of any kind of image.

It is already using a pay-per-click model, no data is ever sent to the advertiser unless you click the ad.
posted by crazedpsyc 3 years and 11 months ago Link