Instant answers from Wikipedia in other languages

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 5 months ago
As you know Wikipedia is available in a lot of languages. Maybe you could improve this feature so wikipedia's instant answers would be in other languages too. For example: I am from Latvia. If I search for Green Day, DDG would show instant answer about this band in Latvian language....

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Wikipedia results are available for various languages and nationalities via !Bangs as follows:

CA - !wca
CS - !wcs
DA - !wda
DE - !wde
EN - !wen
EO - !weo
ES - !wes
FR - !wfr
GR - !wgr
HE - !whe
HI - !whi
IT - !wit
JA - !wja
NL - !wnl
NO - !wno
PL - !wpl
PT - !wpt
RU - !wru
SL - !wsl
SV - !wsv
UK - !wuk
VO - !wvo
ZH - !wzh
Brezhoneg !wbr
Hungary !whu
IS - !wis
Nynorsk !wnn
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 5 months ago Link
clel
I agree with you. Searching for "Obama" for example shows a short description of the person from Wikipedia. Unfortunately it comes from the English Wikipedia, not the local one. Using !Bangs does not really help with this issue. I suggest to be either able to select, which wiki one wants to use or to determine it via the IP.
posted by clel 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I totally agree, I think this should be regulated by the region setting. It's annoying to always read explanations of things in English (and if you want to read more to be redirected to the English wikipedia) when there is a totally fine Dutch (in my case) wikipedia article about the subject. This being said, when there is no Dutch/Latvian/... article available the English one should be used instead.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
I'd really like to see this feature. This should be easy to implement. Any word from the devs?
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link