Pop Up Ads

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 4 months ago
I'm suddenly getting Pop Up Ads on my DDG Homepage. What's this about and how can I stop it?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
The ads are not coming from DDG. Most likely some sort of malware has been installed on your browser.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 4 months ago Link
DuckyKaren
Yes I agree with x.15a2. My bf for some odd reason(he constantly installs games) is getting pop ups and adds on chrome and Firefox. I am sure that it is some else instead of DDG.
Whenever you install something make sure you always uncheck mark whatever other program is recommending! Most of the time the recommend programs that come with an installation of another are not good trusted programs.
On my experience; I always resolved the issue in:
Control Panel->Add/Remove Program
And always looked at recently installed(look at the date near each program to be able to know what has recently been installed) and whatever seems like a program you were sure you didn't install, remove it.
Also I usually check my current adds ons and extensions on my internet browser to make sure he didn't add an un-wanted addon/extension.

Good luck OP!
posted by DuckyKaren 4 years and 4 months ago Link
clel
To remove the adware tools like "Adw Cleaner" are helpful as well!
posted by clel 4 years and 4 months ago Link
DuckyKaren
Yes Clel that is always a great thing to use!
Amazing suggestion. ^.^
clel
Thanks, I hope it helps in this case as well ;)
posted by clel 4 years and 4 months ago Link
DuckyKaren
:*
SMed79
Hi,
use AdwCleaner to search and clean your browser from Adware, PUP, toolbar and hijacker.
posted by SMed79 4 years and 4 months ago Link