Ubuntu getting ahead of itself?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
Why, when looking for that most egregious of phrases 'get up!', did I suddenly find myself being redirected to an ubuntu search page?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
Which browser? Are you using a DDG extension\add-on when this happens?
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 9 months ago Link
jbarrett
Our bangs also trigger when placed after the trigger text, so you're getting the Ubuntu Packages search for this particular query.

From https://duckduckgo.com/bang.html :

Ubuntu Packages (!upackages)
Ubuntu Packages (!up)
posted by jbarrett Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
clel
Is this necessary/often used? I agree that it might be disturbing since exclamation marks are used in normal text as well.
posted by clel 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
Much agreed. The end exclamantions should definitely be removed from the bang syntax.

I wish they'd use another character other than ! as that requires quite a stretch and two keypresses to activate. A semicolon would rock my world:

;ebay
;amazon

etc. etc.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
x.15a2
The term "bang" is something of a standard and refers specifically to the exclamation mark. From Wikipedia:
Quote:
In the 1950s, secretarial dictation and typesetting manuals in America referred to the mark as "bang," perhaps from comic books where the ! appeared in dialogue balloons to represent a gun being fired, although the nickname probably emerged from letterpress printing.

jbarrett
Yup, take out the ! and they're not really bangs any more. I'll pass on your feedback though, everyone. Thanks!
x.15a2
That, plus no matter what character is selected, someone somewhere will have an issue with it. Maybe the interrobang would be a good option, if only we could type it... :)
jbarrett
x.15a2
Maybe we should support it then haha
anonymous
Cheers both:
1. DDG site itself, no add-on.
2. That's what I wondered but any way it could stop as it isn't affecting all 'reverse' bangs. Exclamation marks are common spoken text so it's a bit of a headache when searching common phrase and finding it interrupted by reverse banging. As filthy as that sounds.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
Choca
I'm using dolphin browser for ipad and I have the same problem
posted by Choca 3 years and 9 months ago Link