Uninstall DDG

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 7 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 7 months ago
I have read your replies to people who have said DDG is a virus. However I agree that it may not be a virus as such, but it is infecting my computer and many others apparently. I cannot get rid of it. It hijacks my homepage regardless of anything I do to change my homepage. It hides itself so you cannot find it in add-ons or extensions. Why not be honest and admit what you are putting onto peoples computers?
Now, how about giving a proper answer as to how to remove DDG completely? I am using Internet Explorer in Windows 8.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
We are being honest and when issues like this are reported and we do our be to resolve them. As I recall, the only thing that DDG "installs" for IE is the DDG Search Provider and you also have the option to set DDG as your home page. Both of these are user selected and are not installed unless instructed to do so. Do you have something else installed in IE that I'm not recalling or familiar with?

Changing the IE home page is easy, just go into Tools\Internet Options, select the General tab and select whatever home page you prefer.

To remove the DDG search providers, go into Tools\Addons and select Search providers, where you'll see DDG listed, where you can modify is as you prefer.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
I have gone into tools/add-ons and I have also changed my homepage to Bing.
Every time I do it, DDG hijacks my homepage and replaces it.
The only thing I have installed in IE is Bing, which YOU keep hijacking as the homepage.
Now, I ask again, how do I uninstall DDG. I think it is most unethical for a search provider to make their search engine do this.
I have spent endless hours trying to find DDG, even in the registry where I have deleted obvious DDG keys, but still it persists.
DDG does not appear in any program lists, or add/remove lists. It appears to not exist, but it appears from nowhere and is driving me nuts!
I am not an amateur when it comes to IT matters. I actually work in an IT department. It is obvious that something in your DDG software download makes your search page hijack my homepage.
There MUST be a method to remove it completely from my PC.
Since DDG is your invention, you must know how to remove it.
Please take this seriously, because if you search the internet, I am not the only person in the world with this problem.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
OK, let me continue to attempt to help here.

In your above post you stated:
Quote:
It is obvious that something in your DDG software download makes your search page hijack my homepage.
Can you please specify what software you downloaded and it's source? Again, DDG doesn't install anything for IE. It can be added (and removed) by the user as a search provider and can be manually added (or removed) as a home page. In fact, if you click on the DDG has no mechanism for hijacking your homepage. [http://snag.gy/l6P82.jpg]

When you went into tools/Add-ons, did any DuckDuckGo components show up in any of the Add-On Types (Toolbars and Extensions, Search Providers, etc.)? The only one that might have shown DDG would be the Search Providers, which you can easily modify.

Let me open this thread to the DDG community: Have any of you seen or heard of this issue? I'd really like to help this person, but I am unable to replicate the symptoms being experienced.

By the way, I did as you suggested and did a search for this topic. Many of the returned results were from phish sites that are selling "solutions" for non-existent problems. They look for certain key words and display what look like official results. Each of them have very low WOT ratings and are scams.
anonymous
I have the same problem. I have dukduckgo show up as an add on search provider but there is no way to get rid of it!. The 'remove' button is greyed out. I set 'bing' as default, but duckduck still show up on the search bar. How do I remove it? I have not had any such problem with other search providers. Please address this issue, to say "it can't be" is not an answer. It is not removable and you should develop an easy way to uninstall it. Thank you
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 11 days ago Link
x.15a2
What OS and browser (including versions) are you using where you are seeing this?
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 11 days ago Link
DuckyKaren
As a duckduckgo user for about 3years. I can honestly tell you that DDG isn't capable of such things. The only search engines that do hijack webpages that I know of are: Babylon, baidoo(something like that) and a few others. I've always been able to replace DDG as fast as I please. No offense OP, but I feel that there is something else that is causing DDG to do stay on your homepage, like another extention, or add-on... Or there is a program that you have installed on your computer that is messing with you.
I assure you that this is only my experience and opinion but DDG has never caused me any trouble, and have never hard of such problem before. :/

Best of luck OP!
posted by DuckyKaren 4 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Thank you all!
I ran Adw Cleaner and it found Babylon. Now deleted and all seems back to normal.
I WILL use DDG as search provider and sorry about my false accusations!
Feeling mightily relieved!
Thank you Clel and DuckyKaren in particular
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 7 months ago Link
x.15a2
Sweet! Glad to hear that you got it straightened out. Also glad to hear that you'll be using DDG for your searches! Stop in an post any time!
DuckyKaren
You are very welcome OP! ^_^ And don't worry we all make mistakes,
it's alright! ^.^ I'm glad you found your solution, and I agree with x. 15a2
I'm also glad you'll continue to be using DDG!

If you ever need something else, or have a suggestion, we're all ears.

Good luck OP thank you.
clel
Glad that it helped. I had some similar problems (not with DDG) some time ago and this software helped me alot uinstalling the adware.
posted by clel 4 years and 7 months ago Link
clel
I never had problems with DDG and your problem sounds like one caused by adware or a bug. To find out, whether adware is the reason, you could use a tool like "Adw Cleaner" to remove those software. I hope you can get rid of the problem soon. Please try to understand that everybody here wants to help and most likely is not responsible for your problem.
DuckyKaren
Way of go clel, you did great! ^_^
clel