DuckDuckGo Reimagined and Redesigned

yegg Staff yegg
Created: 1 year and 1 month ago • Updated: 1 year and 1 month ago
Over the past year, as our userbase and community have grown substantially, we've heard great feedback from new and long-term users. Now, we'd like to show you how we've incorporated your feedback with a reimagined and redesigned DuckDuckGo:

https://next.duckduckgo.com/

This next version of DuckDuckGo focuses on smarter answers and a more refined look. We've also added many new features you've been requesting like images, auto-suggest, places and more. Of course, your privacy is protected as well!

It is in beta and there are some known issues. In particular:
--not all settings work yet and the setting page itself is getting an overhaul
--not all instant answers work yet and some have not yet been redesigned
--IE8 is functional though not fully cleaned up yet

In the next month, we hope to make this the default version of DuckDuckGo, but that timing really depends on what we hear from you. There is a 'Give Feedback' button on the bottom right of search result pages that you can use to submit anonymous feedback (with optional query). We also encourage you to post to this forum so that the community can discuss your ideas.

To really give it a go, we suggest setting it as your default, which you can do at the bottom of the new homepage. Here are some sample queries to get you started:

https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=thai+in+san+francisco
https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=green+day+videos
https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=thailand+beach+images
https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=define+superlative

Finally, thank you to the DuckDuckGo community leaders for all their help getting us get to this point! If you are a developer, you can also help us with the redesign of our open-source instant answers

UPDATE: we've updated the beta with refinements based on your feedback. More details here.
Attached Files: 3
home.png - Full tilt-shift_1a.png - Full tilt-shift_1c.png - Full

This thread has been locked and is now read-only.

x.15a2
Congrats! It looks great and the new functionality is great. I look forward to reading what the DDG community has to say about the new release!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader1 year and 1 month ago Link
Choca
A good look except the search bar doesn't move when you scroll it stays at they top
posted by Choca 1 year and 1 month ago Link
dnlsrl
You can change that on the settings, can't you?
posted by dnlsrl 1 year and 1 month ago Link
zac
Not all the Settings have been updated (noted above) so apologies for that! It just hasn't been updated for the next version of DDG yet but we hope to get to it shortly.
posted by zac Staff1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
finally images!
that's just awesome
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago Link
Choca
Why is the logo lighter a prefer the darker one
lazercroc
I agree, the logo looks too faded in the beta version. The green magnifying glass when you hover your mouse over it has become very dull as well. Also, the 'Go' of DuckDuckGo has become black, which used to be green.
I like the flatter design of the beta version, although it has become a bit too grey and boring.
posted by lazercroc 1 year and 1 month ago Link
MithrandirAgain
Congrats, it looks great!
posted by MithrandirAgain 1 year and 1 month ago Link
WolfLambert
This is just awesome. Awesome.
I'm recommending this to everyone now. Seriously.
posted by WolfLambert 1 year and 1 month ago Link
YellowApple
This is great and all, but you didn't even mention the most awesome feature: the image and video results! I love the approach taken to integrate them cleanly with the text results.

Absolutely fantastic all around; looks beautiful. I'll be having fun playing around with this.
posted by YellowApple 1 year and 1 month ago Link
leMonLemon
Looks great! Congrats
posted by leMonLemon 1 year and 1 month ago Link
thechunsik
Congrats! from Korea!
posted by thechunsik 1 year and 1 month ago Link
Superluigi6
This is a great redesign! I like the new layout. But, there are some things I'd like to be fixed. For starters, I'd honestly prefer the Images, Videos, and Products searches all to be on their own separate pages rather than all stuck together on one page.

And, the "you've already been to this page". First of all, how does DuckDuckGo know that I've already been to one of the webpages? That feature should be an optional feature in Settings. The favicon for URLS should also be to the left of the links, and not directly below them.

And, on a smaller note, the "The search engine that doesn't track you." part should also be a link to http://donttrack.us/
posted by Superluigi6 1 year and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
Quote:
the "you've already been to this page". First of all, how does DuckDuckGo know that I've already been to one of the webpages? That feature should be an optional feature in Settings.

If you look at most any web page that has links, you'll notice that links that you've already used are typically displayed in a different than one that you haven't visited. This is the case with the current version of DDG. It's exactly the same technology being used here except instead of changing the text color, the message it displayed. There's no tracking taking place, it's just information that's reported from your browser. As I understand it, this feature will be optional, with the way you are currently seeing it being the default.
x.15a2
One other point, if you notice the full text of the message, it's Your browser indicates if you've visited this link. So, DDG doesn't know that you've been to a web page, your browser does.
clel
I support the idea of having a dedicated page for image and video results/being able to expand the area in which the results are displayed in order to navigate more quickly through them.
posted by clel 1 year and 1 month ago Link
clel
I just saw that this is already integrated. Great, I like it the way it is.
anonymous
The greatest DDG feature for me is the bang syntax. I'm surprised to see no mention of it in the new page.

It seems like there's now auto-completion for that, but in my opinion choosing the auto-completed value with only up/down arrow keys seems counterintuitive, and I also expect to select it by pressing the enter key, which submits the query instead of doing that.

Also, are there plans for extending the bang syntax adding parameters? Some sites have multiple options to search from. In Ultimate-Guitar, for example, you can search by song name or artist name, but currently you can't select which one of these to use. Maybe something like
Code:
!chords (artist) Artist Name
anonymous
Maybe "!chords:artist Artist Name", making it easier to parse.
zac
We added !bang autocomplete (a feature from our mobile apps) to help surface !bangs even more. Currently (on duckduckgo.com), there's little mention of !bangs except in the right sidebar as, "Try this search on" which doesn't get much love as most people think they're ads or related search suggestions. Also, in the dropdown menu next to the search button but it doesn't do a good job of telling users, "there are a ton of !bangs not shown" and that you can trigger them when you type, not just as a button click.

Of course, we'd like more people to know about !bangs so if you have any ideas, please let us know!

Haven't revisited the functionality of !bangs yet but that's a cool request for times when a site's search function requires more than 1 type of input.
anonymous
I think it would be really cool if you had a customizable docket of !bangs as buttons in the left margin. They would be like vertical bookmarks with an icon for Wikipedia, Free Dictionary, etc. When I clicked the bookmark button it could fill in the !bang, but they would also act as toggles for the current search. I often find myself making a search and then wanting to refine it. Clicking a bookmark with a current search open would load the results from the same search prepended with the bang, or redirect there if it's a bang that launches something. Then Duck Duck Go can also feel like a portal for multiple search services.
anonymous
Thanks for the quick reply! If you want to keep the front page simple as it is, "Learn more" could have something on !bangs and goodies. A link that says something in the lines of "Search sites using !bang syntax". Or you could place a tip somewhere that says "type '!' to search in a site", as auto-completion appears automatically. If I have any better ideas I'll let you guys know!
anonymous
As a side note, the !safeoff icon is hilarious
mikedep333
I'm delighted to see auto-suggest.

I do have one big issue with it though.

I am OK with it automatically changing the search bar string to the auto-suggest result when I hover over such a result, but I cannot get the original search string back. If I move the cursor off of the auto-suggest results, it leaves the last hovered over auto-suggest result in the search box.

Similarly, if I use the up and down keys, I cannot get the original search bar string back either.
posted by mikedep333 1 year and 1 month ago Link
zac
We're looking into a change for this! Thanks and sorry for any frustration!
mikedep333
No problem.

Also, I thought I'd point out that the behavior is sort of like "focus follows pointer."

I heard that a study found determined focus-follows-pointer is very unintuitive, but I cannot find that study.
Choca
great except that the logo is a bit lighter
anonymous
Looks and feels great!
anonymous
Very nice changes! Having used DDG as my primary search engine for two years, it's nice to see it get an overhaul! I do have one question though: could you explain how user privacy is preserved in relation to the auto-complete feature?
Congratulations on the new release; will definitely be recommending it to my friends!
yegg
Thanks! There is no change in terms of privacy. We still don't collect or share personal information and auto-suggest does not impact that at all. We simply do not associate queries with personal information (e.g. IP addresses).
posted by yegg Staff1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I disagree about the "app" from the google play store -- it requires you to use your google account. I don't think DDG should be supporting that.
caine
You can download the app directly from here.
posted by caine Staff1 year and 1 month ago Link
mikedep333
I love these 2 changes:
1. Until you hover the cursor over a search result, you only see the domain name. When you hover over, you see the full URL.
2. The "more from <domain name>" link is only visible when you hover over.
preemeijer
This is a very good and beautiful design. I'm going to use (test) it right away.

I also think that DDG to have the Images search button is making my 'life' easier to get people to use DDG more. ;P
posted by preemeijer Community Leader1 year and 1 month ago Link
Choca
Couldn't you have redesigned the settings look as we'll it's always been horrible
yegg
That is coming!
Choca
They look better but now but I don't like the blue color
Choca
Choca
Choca
Choca
Love the new map instant awnsers
clel
Just tested it and it looks awesome. Where did they get the theme from or did the develop it by themselves? I just don't like that one cannot zoom in with the scroll wheel.
anonymous
Very nice new design !

Good job for the auto-suggest and the bang suggest. Very well done.

Did anybody found a way to export settings from the stable version to the beta or it's not possible yet ?
clel
You can use Cloud Save to achive that. Also I guess that adding your settings link to the new URL might work.
x.15a2
Quote from yegg:
It is in beta and there are some known issues. In particular:
--not all settings work yet and the setting page itself is getting an overhaul

So, copying them over from the current (stable) version to the βeta may or may not work. I've been messing with some of the settings for a while, but not enough to provide valid or conclusive results. My suggestion is to wait for later releases when the new settings page has been deployed.
anonymous
Looks great! I'll have to explore the new features.
teaneedz
Passing the teapot around to the entire DDG crew and community. This reimagined version of DuckDuckGo is a stunning treat for us who quack through searches daily.

Please pass on my "cool beans (or in this case tea leaves)" to the design and front end folks for achieving a very minimalist and modern look. The design is reminiscent of my favorite Markdown editor, Byword - the extra fluff just gets out of the way while you achieve the right focus in the areas where we get our searches done.

I love the product decisions that went into this design. I *really* like your vision for images and videos. The carousel approach is really slick. Teapot lid tips to the back-end folks for achieving a speedy experience. Well done! Thank you for *not* bringing endless scrolling to these areas. I'll take *click more* over latency in load times any day of the week.

A few bugs aside, the experience, feel and look is **elegant**.

The other search engines better watch out - of course I already give my queries exclusively to DDG. I don't recall when I last told someone to *Google-it*. These days, it's all about **Duck It**.
posted by teaneedz 1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
- The images and video tab should open in the whole screen the first time I click on them (I already declare my intent to be "I want to see images of this" when I click on the tab. Why should I click twice, once on the tab then on the expand button?).

- I prefer to see whole urls in my search results (maybe allow this through a preference?). An example use case where short urls hurt is when you do a site:www.something.com search. This also assumes that every page has a good title (when choosing a result, you usually rely on either the title or the url to see if it looks like the page you want in that website). Please don't hide the URL for everyone!

- I'm on 3g, and the feedback mini-overlay window interface needs feedback when submitting. When I click on send, I need to see that it has been well-received server-side. Usually, this is done with a spinner, then a light 'saved' notification, then the mini-window closes (which signals that I can finally close the tab without fear of my feedback being lost).
x.15a2
Great input, thanks! Per your comment:
Quote:
- I prefer to see whole urls in my search results (maybe allow this through a preference?). An example use case where short urls hurt is when you do a site:www.something.com search. This also assumes that every page has a good title (when choosing a result, you usually rely on either the title or the url to see if it looks like the page you want in that website). Please don't hide the URL for everyone!

As stated, settings are still a work in progress, hopefully the Devs will see your comment. Also, did you notice that when you mouse-over a result, the full URL is displayed? Is that a good solution for you?

Thanks for checking out and commenting on the new design!
anonymous
I don't hover the links before I choose to click on them, and seeing the full link is part of the decision-making process.
I suggest you could display it as firefox does: "highlight" the domain and tld in black/color and the rest of the url in grey.

Removing the full url from the results is akin to chrome's attempts of hiding the full url: it benefits the search engine only by making it (the search engine) more and more indispensable, while providing no benefit to the user (actually making it harder to know where you're going, as in: on which page of this site am I going to end up).
zoolander100
Great design! Superb! Only one glitch is that it doesn't show W.O.T. ratings alongside the results(even after applying the settings!) . And even while W.O.T. extension is enabled in the browser; the ratings don't turn up.................................
posted by zoolander100 1 year and 1 month ago Link
yegg
This will be fixed soon -- thanks!
caine
The fix for this is in today's release. Keep an eye out! :)
zoolander100
posted by zoolander100 1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I am sorry, but having been using DDG as my primary search engine for pretty much 6 years now, I really disliked the new redesign.

The first critical problem to me is contrast, it is really bad atm, making it hard to read and focus on a given result. This is much worse when using f.lux (even worse at night, given the adjustments f.lux does).

I also disliked the left-align on everything, I rather have it centered as it currently is. When using big widescreen monitors there is a lot of whitespace in the middle of the screen and the results show up all the way to the lower left corner... It is pretty uncomfortable to look all the way there and this makes it harder on the contrast part too because there is so much bright light already coming from the background and the font color is a light greyish. This is especially worse in multi-monitor setups.

The image and video search tabs are great, and I really like the fact they replace zero-click results when you click on them, but I wouldn't leave them in the fixed header, there is just no need for them to be there. This would reduce the size of the fixed header and make it even better.

When scrolling results using j and k, the greyish background it adds to each result makes the contrast even worse. I remember when they were yellowish, they were better back then, imo. But current design works too. I also miss the current border around it, it makes it much easier for you to find yourself if you are switching tabs and going back to the results page. I haven't measured, but the font also seems a couple pixels smaller, is it?

It is also harder to distinguish between results. It all seems like a blob of text, hard to skim through results looking just at the title. In the current design this is fantastically easy, given titles are blue. I only read stuff below the title if the title is of interest. In the new design this is much harder to do, there is not enough contrast between the title and the text under it. Keep it blue, there is absolutely no reason to change this.

About the auto-suggestion, this is interesting, I switched to DDG at the same time that Google implemented their version and I lived all this time without this feature. Don't really see it as a feature, but rather a nice to have. I hope it doesn't become a pain when using unreliable internet connections with limited bandwidth, so an option to turn it off would be great.
x.15a2
Thanks for the detailed input, it is appreciated.

Regarding issues like color\contrast, layout, etc.: Once the setting page is completed, much of this will be user configurable so (as is the case with the current DDG page) you will be able to modify it to your person taste.

I believe that auto-suggest will also be configurable to be disabled.

Regarding the Answer, Images and Videos tabs being in the non-scolling header, that's a tough call because they might be helpful even when scrolling through results and it seems like a small amount of real estate to keep them in the header. I'm not sure how much configuration the user will have with the header, would being able to adjust the text size in the header be helpful?

Thanks again!
anonymous
Thanks for the reply, and you are welcome for the feedback. But seriously, the very least it needs to be changed is the blue title font color and to enhance the contrast. It is MUCH harder to skim through the results.

I don't understand the advantage of left aligning. Pretty much all websites nowadays center-align. I mean, I understand screen real estate, but the usability is worse. Much worse, when switching between a result and the results page I have to keep turning my neck, and given I am on a 27'' screen, this is pretty bad. It also makes the results page look like a cheap red-themed copy of Google's result page 8 years ago.

About the fixed header and the answer/images/video tabs, this might be worth gathering statistics if ppl click on these after scrolling down or not. I believe people click these before scrolling, if they do scroll, I do not think they would click these tabs afterwards. It is a totally different kind of medium, searching them are completely different problems, using different keywords usually.

Also, new design gives me 5 results in a single page before scrolling vs 6 results in the current design.
anonymous
Mmm the red line at the top is just an esthetical thing?
I don't like it for a stupid reason: I often look at it because YouTube uses the same thing for the page loading. I always think there's a loading stucked at 100%... damn!
anonymous
On a side note, I love how you organized the images/videos thing! That's really handy!
zac
thanks!
anonymous
Really great design and good new functions. I love it...
anonymous
Great news!
When this restyle will be released for stable version?
x.15a2
Quote from Yegg:
In the next month, we hope to make this the default version of DuckDuckGo, but that timing really depends on what we hear from you. There is a 'Give Feedback' button on the bottom right of search result pages that you can use to submit anonymous feedback (with optional query). We also encourage you to post to this forum so that the community can discuss your ideas.
anonymous
Oh, lol.
Thanks. :D
anonymous
woah! Great redesign :)
A few observations:
1) while playing videos on the same page is great there isn't much variety - the only source being Youtube. What about Vimeo, Dailymotion, etc? (query: nymphomaniac 2 trailer)
2) Similar to the above, for the products tab, displays only products from Amazon. (query: thinkpad x240)
3) Filtering abilities. I think it would be useful to have some abilities to filter web results based on most frequently used parameters (from the ones on https://duckduckgo.com/params).
4) Safe-search only triggered for EN queries. It would be useful if safe-search would also include common vulgar queries in other languages (i.e. German, Dutch, Norwegian)
5) Better graceful degradation. Say a user with JS-execution turned off shows up to DDG. The wrench menu in the upper right is inactive upon click with the JS turned off. It would be better to not be shown or if shown to at least be a link to duck.co or smth.

Sorry for the long post, but had to leave some feedback here.
caine
We originally prototyped videos with several providers including Vimeo, YouTube, and DailyMotion. Sadly there was an immediate (and difficult) safe search problem and we decided to table re-enabling the others until after we got some feedback about how it worked.
anonymous
I see... if a query is detected to be unsafe for web results maybe limiting the results to YT is a good idea. However, should the user temporarily or permanently turn off safe-search then including additional providers may be useful (though at the risk of turning ddg into a Bing videos-like porn search engine). thx for reply
anonymous
6) Safe-search for suggestions are, again, only limited to EN words.
thedl
DDG is finally starting to look visually competitive! While I'm not a big proponent of the flat trend, I do like the cleaner and more "designed" feel!

Quick question: is it possible to switch the path in my Safari DDG address bar extension to use the beta version of the site rather than the current?
posted by thedl 1 year and 1 month ago Link
Choca
the stopwatch doesn't look proper [http://oi57.tinypic.com/kbom61.jpg]
x.15a2
Hey @Choca,
What OS and browser are you using? I just tried using Win7 and Pale Moon (FF branch) and it the stopwatch is rendered correctly.

Thanks
Choca
I tried it again and it worked
Choca
Choca
Choca
Choca
Choca
Mallart
I love the re-design that DDG is getting. Though I have a concern that is probably insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

When I got to the query page for typing in ‘CNN’ (or any terms), 4 signs appears below the search box which are ‘About’, ‘Images’, ‘Videos’ and ‘Meanings’. What I found to be somewhat annoying is how it arrange, 'About | Images Videos | Meanings'. In my opinion there should be the ‘|’ symbol after every signs so it would be shown as 'About | Images | Videos | Meanings' – otherwise it would feels as if 'Images Videos' are a singular category.
posted by Mallart 1 year and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
Wow, that's quite astute! I'm not sure if this is by design or an omission, let's see what the Devs say about it. Either way, nice catch!
anonymous
A very nice clean simple looking new interface with a good wow factor.

I have two suggestions.

First I would like to see the About, Images, Videos, Meanings options to be sticky and remember what I selected from before.

Secondly please bring back sort by date, any region and I'm feeling ducky.

I also found one really nasty bug, don't know if anyone else has reported it.

I clicked on Use in Firefox / Install to see what would happen even though I had DuckDuckGo Plus 0.3.16 installed it set my default search engine back to google!

Terry
MorpheusNS
I love the new look, but it doesn't work in Midori 0.5.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 x64, I've submitted a bug report about it. Simple search works fine, but I can't choose any other option (images, videos, settings...) on the page.
posted by MorpheusNS 1 year and 1 month ago Link
x.15a2
For what it's worth, I've replicated the symptoms that you've described. Not sure it's a DDG issue or not, hard (for me) to know.

From Ubuntu using Midori, the Images and Videos links do not work (don't respond). From Ubuntu using FF, the links work fine.

From Windows using Midori, the links work fine.

Interesting.
luckiboy
One of the things I noticed is that DDG now has suggested searches (in a dropdown menu). Though I love this feature I'm a bit concerned about where these suggestions come from? Are they just from a pre-made search database, or else? You aren't tracking our searches, are you? ;)
Could anyone explain this?
posted by luckiboy 1 year and 1 month ago Link
Mallart
Here is a quote that yegg made earlier in response to a similar question:
"There is no change in terms of privacy. We still don't collect or share personal information and auto-suggest does not impact that at all. We simply do not associate queries with personal information (e.g. IP addresses)."
luckiboy
Hi Mallart, thank you for your reply.
I read that, but what I wanted would like to know is if these searches are "self-learning" so DDG can guess what you are searching for, after a few searches (e.g. Python programming language / snake).
posted by luckiboy 1 year and 1 month ago Link
clel
I don't think so. To learn that they would have to associate queries with personal information.
alexander95015
None of the buttons (i.e. images, videos, send feedback...) work on Chrome 34 under Windows 7. (On Macs they work.) I've already reported it on the Feedback page.
posted by alexander95015 Translation Manager1 year and 1 month ago Link
yegg
Thanks -- we want to fix this ASAP! Is this a touch screen computer?
x.15a2
Same with Ubuntu using Midori, the Images and Videos links do not work (don't respond). Not touch screen.
alexander95015
Nope. It's not touch screen.
posted by alexander95015 Translation Manager1 year and 1 month ago Link
eohippus
My two cents:

For the most part, I like the new redesign, although I would have to try it out to really evaluate it thoroughly especially once the "wow" factor wears off.

How are the images generated? Are you still using Google and Bing images via bangs?

I would like to see DDG wean itself off of using other companies' material and start scowering the web for its own images, videos, audio, songs, patents, real estate, weather, scholarly articles, etc. (Not all at once, just start with the most requested types [images, video, audio, songs] and move onto the more esoteric.] With everything under one search, but allow (via checkboxes) a configuration system that permits users (when registering with say a DDG log in [but NO email address], to save their particular settings.) I realize that this is a big undertaking, but it is worth the efforts.
posted by eohippus 1 year and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I absolutely love the new design. I'm instantly in love with it.

I must nitpick like all other million users, however; I've noticed that the search bar is quite long. It feels a little uneasily long, actually. When the results are the length that they are, finding the search bar to be so long seems a little out of place.

Keep it up, my goodness, I love almost every single change!
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 1 year and 1 month ago
Mallart
You might want to create a new thread for that topic. This thread is for, as the title stated, 'DuckDuckGo Reimagined and Redesigned'.
clel
I really like the new and fresh design approach. I like the new quick results/proposals, but I just compared them to Google and unfortunately you are much slower. When it comes to proposals they have to be very quick in order to be interesting for me. So I hope that you speed that up in the future.

Also you the experience on wide screens could be improved (make use of the full screen).
caine
We've made another release! You can check out the changes here: https://duck.co/forum/thread/5747/duckdu....
Choca
some times no results come up[http://oi60.tinypic.com/29xyyom.jpg][http://oi60.tinypic.com/24zitmt.jpg]