DuckDuckGo Beta Refinements

caine Staff caine
Created: 4 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 2 months ago
Thanks for all of your great feedback since our release on Monday. The response has been very positive and we're happy to see that you're as excited as we are for the next version of DuckDuckGo. Today, we are happy to roll out a new release that incorporates the following refinements:

• Remove fixed header (can still set fixed in settings)
• Center search results setting now works
• Added more information to Spotify / Amazon links in video view
• Remove hover effect for the homepage buttons
• !bang page updates

Squashed bugs:
• WOT icons work now (enable in the settings)
• Fixed video playback echo on video replay
• Minor fixes to keyboard shortcuts
• Fix check-mark / hover cutoff issue for the first result on the results page
• Fix escaping issues in instant answers

Instant answer updates:
• Surface news instant answer more frequently (DuckDuckGo)
• Surface more technical queries (UIViewController)
• Better places support for major chain retailers and restaurants
• Updates to official site relevancy

If you see queries that should be triggering instant answers but aren't, please report them!

Most of the earlier issues still apply. We're actively working on redesigning the settings page and some settings aren't fully implemented just yet. IE8 is coming along as well but still not completely cleaned up. Also, we've heard from some of you that there is major breakage on some browsers including Konqueror and some Windows 8 tablets that have both touch screens and standard mouse / keyboard controls. We really need your help to surface these issues so we can make sure they're resolved for the launch!

UPDATE: we've updated the beta with refinements based on your feedback. Check it out here.

Original beta launch post

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

This thread has been locked and is now read-only.

zac
Just a friendly post reminding any interested developers that we could use your help! Not all of the instant answers have been converted for the next version of DDG and you can help out here: https://github.com/duckduckgo/zeroclicki...
posted by zac Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
Mallart
I noticed when exploring the new DDG is that the options available in the query page is not often consistence. For example:
Mammal hibernation – images, videos
Chair – products, images, videos, meanings, definition
France – about, images, videos, meanings, definition, news, places, products

In my opinion the lack of consistencies do gives a sense of incompleteness and the feeling that the searches are confined to whatever options are available.

I like to offer two suggestions for the settings.
1) Allow users to selectively include or exclude these options to be permanently display in the query page regardless of the search term. The ones excluded can appear by trigger words. For example Bob Smith want only 'about', 'news', 'images' and 'videos' to appear in the query page.
2) Allow users to disable all these options from being visibly displayed but still appears as trigger words.
posted by Mallart 4 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
I hear what you were saying, and we discussed this a lot, but there will literally be hundreds of possible tabs that could come up, and there should be even more over time as we convert and add more open source instant answers. The idea was to surface only those that are relevant and which we have good data for.
posted by yegg Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
Choca
some times no results come up[http://oi60.tinypic.com/29xyyom.jpg]
[http://oi60.tinypic.com/24zitmt.jpg]
posted by Choca 4 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
That seems to be a bad bug! Is this repeatable for you on these queries? What browser/OS?
Choca
I maganged to stop it from happening by changing my language from Harrr Pirate on Pirat Island to Browser Preferred Language
yegg
If you change it back to the regular or reset to the defaults will it still give you no results?

Do you see an error in the error console?
Choca
All results always come up unless my language is pirate you can test it
yegg
So to be clear -- this only breaks in pirate language mode?
Choca
Yes
Choca
It always does it when you are on pirate
anonymous
Is there any way to retain DuckDuckGo as it now exists - without the refinements (some might call it garbage) which the Beta proposes to add?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago Link
yegg
We are not planning on maintaining our old code base. We are planning on making all of our settings work functionally on the new site and creating a classic theme that restores some of the old choices. In addition, you will be able to further tweak the settings to disable even more (auto-suggest, answer bar, etc.). We are planning on releasing a settings string you can use for both versions.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago
Bacco
One small issue: On Opera 12.17 (last recent update of the Presto engine) when I hover the autocomplete list, the autocomplete "autocompletes" :) the string, but doesn't mantain the original string intact.

It would be nice if the textbox selection range automatically update to cover the added characters only, so I can delete only the "autocompleted" part if I choose one by mistake, or even type-over without the need to select manually the unwanted characters after hovering the list once.

DDG is my default engine since 2010, good to see the facelift! Congrats to the team.

posted by Bacco 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Wow, this is truly great! Thanks for working on all the feedback you guys received!

The contrast issue is fixed, I can now set it to center align in settings, titles are readable and results are much more easily distinguishable than before. The fixed header is also gone =)

The only thing which still isn't great is when hovering with the mouse a result or using j/k to switch between results. The title changing color to a light blue diminish the contrast, making it much harder to read. I found myself reading the result under the one focused to only then use j to switch to the next one, instead of reading the one already focused. Can't you keep the title color the same and when a result is hovered of focused, just draw a one pixel rounded rectangular border around the result with a greysh colour?
etam
What I like:
- images, videos and news search
- search and !bang hints (this thing that appears when you start typing in the search bar)

What I don't like:
- The layout of "Meanings". The old one is clean, simple, and makes it easy to grasp the results. http://susepaste.org/32375665 Also it allows to click one meaning with the middle mouse button to open it in the new tab.
The new one is very cluttered, it's hard to focus on the results and to find the one interesting. http://susepaste.org/1782442 http://susepaste.org/82139396 The categories are useless - after clicking one it's very hard to spot what happened (compare http://susepaste.org/82139396 with http://susepaste.org/62755722).
Also it doesn't allows to click one meaning with the middle mouse button to open it in the new tab.
posted by etam 4 years and 2 months ago Link
dashesy
thanks for all the great work, cannot wait to see autocomplete :) in almost 2 years I use DDG this has been the single most waited in my wishlist. The overall design also looks good, hope I can keep my terminal black theme.
posted by dashesy 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Look, I know you guys need to "keep up with the Joneses" so I'm not going to complain suffice to say I don't like anything about it. I just have a simple question: Will you be leaving people access to the old version or is it your intention to completely remove the old one and I should just start looking for something else right now?
x.15a2
What you see in next.duckduckgo.com will be the new look for duckduckgo. All active web sites change their look and feel over time. To this point, the response to the "next" DDG has been overwhelmingly positive but it's just a fact of life that some will not care for the change. Constructive criticism is helpful and welcomed, that's why this βeta view was released to the public, instead of just pushing it out with no opportunity for review and well reasoned feedback.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
Well mostly what I hate about the look is the forced ClearType, which I've given up discussing on the internet because apparently no one understands (and in most cases don't even care) how someone could hate blurry text. However, ultimately it boils down to capability. I do most of my searching from an older notebook I keep nearby, and the new DDG is a literal slideshow on it despite appearing even more simplistic than the old version. That's standard now to make pages look as minimal as possible while using maximum resources, so it's not like I expect Duck to change direction since a bloated site like everyone else has is apparently what they're aiming for. If there will be no way to access the old portal then they'll have basically left me no choice but to go elsewhere as the new site is nearly unusable.
buckeye
hmmm, strange disconnect
you do not like cleartype because you think its fuzzy but you work on an admittedly old laptop.

what i never get is why people hang on to their old hardware and operating systems complain when the rest of the world moves on.
posted by buckeye 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
The first part of your message doesn't make any sense, using an old notebook and ClearType being fuzzy have no more in common than someone disliking white wine but enjoying snowboarding.

What I never get is why people think new hardware is required for displaying text. Perhaps you could formulate a better response if you take a moment to examine a page of search results and then realize you're looking at a page full of roughly 2-300 words. Why should 300 words require an i7 unless they're textured, bump mapped and getting hit by a hundred real time light sources?
buckeye
in my experience many old laptops have lackluster displays, that's all
if that is not your case then that is cool too

i also see a lot of graphics and interactive content in the results, which i appreciate

its all good you enjoy things your way which is fine and i enjoy things in a different way its all good

i wonder how the new design looks in Nexus or Mosaic let us know
posted by buckeye 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
That could be true, and I did consider maybe it was a truckload of extras. However, I'm looking through what's loaded and I don't even see the Images or Videos options functioning. The buttons work but they don't do anything for me and as far as I can see there are no videos or images caching in the background, I figured maybe that part hadn't been enabled yet considering the beta status. Which, if that's the case, bodes even worse for performance when they are turned on.

Which I'm not going to lie, it's upsetting. I liked DDG quite a lot, I don't relish the thought of dropping it. Especially for some of the same reasons I dropped Google, that just stings.
x.15a2
There are several posts that address the images\video\settings buttons not functioning in certain scenarios. Several users have submitted debugger reports and the Devs are certainly looking at it. This issue didn't come up during Alpha testing and it is issues like this being reported by users that make βeta testing invaluable.

I hope that you will appreciate the new design, once it closer to ready for prime-time and your comments and concerns are appreciated. If you'd like to let us know about your operating environment, I'm sure that the Devs would appreciate it.

Thanks!
caine
I think some of your feedback here is good. To clear a few things up, the tabs that aren't doing anything won't do anything until you click them. All of their actions are deferred until they're brought into an active state. We do this to prevent the concerns you're mentioning. As far as the font is concerned, there is a setting for that. As a search engine, we're extremely concerned with speed and minimizing bloat. I would appreciate more specific feedback on particular things we can do better here. Feel free to reply here or hit the Feedback button on the SERP!
posted by caine Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
Glenn1963
The javascript bits (like the Settings button) don't work for me in Pale Moon. Javascript is enabled; Adblock is disabled.

I can see in Firebug that it throws a warning about a deprecated function when I click the button, so it is being activated. But absolutely nothing happens.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest what else might cause that?
posted by Glenn1963 4 years and 2 months ago Link
x.15a2
I'm using current versions of PM in Win7 and Ubuntu and don't have this problem. Please input your finding in this thread which discusses the issue that you are experiencing: https://duck.co/forum/thread/5752/firefo...
anonymous
It's amazing!

Clean, beautifull and usual.

But, I think that it would be nice if instead of click on the "X"

icon.[http://linux.ime.usp.br/~vitorlima/ddg.jpg]

I could too click out of the menu to close it.

You have done a great work!
clel
Currently there are two menu buttons on the about page that (I think) do the same. In my opinion one button can be removed.
posted by clel 4 years and 2 months ago Link
clel
Another thing (bug?) I noticed is that on the main site one cannot enter text when clicking the area just left to the search sign (about 2 cm long). The cursor changes in that area from a text highlighting one to normal. Clicking that area does not do anything, but highlighting the search field.
posted by clel 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
On my Firefox 28, the animation for the sidebar fails to play and is sudden, while on Chrome it works fine. Is there a reason for this? By the way, great work. I love the new design.
anonymous
One of the things I liked about DDG was the claim to not bubble me.

I had a play searching for news on Ukraine and was very disappointed with the results.

https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=ukraine+n...

It looked very biased towards USA media with Fox News and NBC near the top.

I would have expected RT.com to also be near the top simple because of the large number articles at rt.com on this subject.

**** PLEASE DON’T BUBBLE ME ****

In fact I would like to see an option for more alternative news sources as well as the traditional sources.

I also did a search for Jimmy Savile (a pretty big story in the UK) but no news box showed up.

https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=jimmy+sav...

What is going on?

Also when I do a CTRL+left click on a story in the news box no new tab opens, I have to do a left click and open in same tab. I would have expected the news box to work the same way as normal links.

Terry
caine
To be clear, we're not bubbling here. These stories are the same across the entire user-base. I will look into the Jimmy Savile example, perhaps it's caught in a relevancy filter for some reason. We acknowledge and are fixing the click issue currently.
posted by caine Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
Mallart
I have come across what looks like a glitch that seemed to have trapped me in an infinite scrolling loop from time to time. I'm not a computer expert so I'll explain the steps on how I came across it.

1) Type in 'cairn terrier' and press enter.
2) select 'image' and 'click to expand'.
3) Use the down arrow on the keyboard to scroll through the images.
4) Continue pressing the down arrow until you find yourself leaving the album of images. After that use the up arrow on your keyboard to back up.
5) Except you won't find yourself backing up but rather sending yourself way to the bottom of the query page. You can use the up arrow key to scroll back up but just before you reach where the images are, you'll find yourself back in the bottom of the query page. Hence the terms 'infinite loop'.

Is anyone else getting this? I hope I'm not the only one.

P.S: I can replicate this issue for 'news', 'videos', 'recipes', etc. It turns out that one doesn't need to 'click to expand' to experience this. If you click on an image then scroll down with the arrow key you'll experience this loop.
TopHattedCoder
I can replicate this issue on Firefox Nightly.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader4 years and 2 months ago Link
Mallart
I forgot to mention that I'm using IE11 on Windows 8.1
lazercroc
This seems to be a glitch for everyone, I tried it and it happened to me
posted by lazercroc 4 years and 2 months ago Link
Aramith
I absolutely love the new look and feel of DDG.
As a whole it feels a lot more integrated, refined and polished.
Loving the search refinements too (images, video, places, drinks etc..)

posted by Aramith 4 years and 2 months ago Link
Aramith
Oh yes and forgot to say....
THANKS, great work guys.
posted by Aramith 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I like that there are now image and video searches, but I have a few comments:

I really miss the old header with the slightly 3D effect. I'm not a fan of the flat white header that's replaced it.

Also, the favicons for websites are much less prominent now.
anonymous
Also I just saw that a lot of the color has been taken out of the search results. The description and title are the same color. It was clearer before.
x.15a2
As with the current version, users will be able to select their preferred colors and type faces.
Thanks
anonymous
Thanks for the response,
I realized this, but I guess I meant the default colors are very similar to one another and a little boring to look at. For myself I will try to make the scheme more pleasant to look at, but I don't know if new users would realize this if they didn't immediately like it. People coming from all other sites will be used to the traditional blue titles used.
kontroll
Problem! I searched for Python pickle information on a friend's behalf, and as per usual I pressed alt+D to select the URL field in the browser, when suddenly DDG added "site:wiki.python.org" to the query and forwarded me, thus deselecting the URL field and preventing me from copy+pasting it to the aforementioned friend.

Bottom line: Using hotkeys is a really, really tricky business since most of them are going to be taken, but using THAT hotkey in particular is actually breaking stuff.
(I do like that I can access documentation-specific searches easily though)
posted by kontroll 4 years and 2 months ago Link
lazercroc
I really like the new flat design. However, on the homepage, all of the colours have become too dull (example, the logo seems faded and the green magnifying glass is slightly too grey). Also, the 'Go' of the DuckDuckGo is no longer green. Is there a reason to this?
I miss the brighter, more friendly, colour scheme on the old interface (although keep the beta's 2D design).
lazercroc
For example, compare the old homepage with the new homepage, and there's a clear difference in the variety and liveliness of the colours.
forteller
Hi. I love the new search! It looks really good!

However:

- The fact that you hide the exact path of the search results is extremely annoying. At first I thought that I got really bad results, because I thought the result I looked at was actually to the front page of a site, and I knew that was no good for me. I thought maybe they've written about this topic on their front page at one time and that your results where so old that you still showed me that, even though it has been removed from the front page by now.

- Would you please ban all "information about websites"-sites from the search results? Like for example websitelooker.com, which is the second result on this query. Noone ever needs those sites. The old DDG was full of them, so I think you've worked on this issue. Thank you for that! But there is still at least one left to ban.

Thank you!
posted by forteller 4 years and 2 months ago Link
forteller
Some thoughts on image search:

- There really needs to be a permalink/direct URL to image search. What if I want to show someone some pictures? Linking to a general search and asking them to click on "Images" in the top left corner is no good. Most people will then instead use Google image search. The same goes of course for video and all other kinds of specialized searhes.

- Being able to see only large or only medium etc. sized images is really important to me. If I need something of high quality and I get a search result riddled with tiny images then the search result i quite useless to me.

- Being able to only see Creative Commons licensed images would be fantastic, though I understand if this is a lot of work and must come later.
posted by forteller 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I second your opinion for a need to be able to filter the size of the image results and
it would also help if we could filter them by Creative Commons license too. These two features would help greately people who work with pictures daily.
anonymous
I've been a DuckDuckGo user since the very early days - I've been very impressed by the way the site has developed, and I have influenced a number of people to switch over from Google. I've given the new version a go, but I don't like it as much as the old site I'm afraid. Here's a summary of my first impressions.

The good:

* At least the majority of things that made DDG better than the competition haven't been broken.

* The core functionality seems to work mostly OK in my relatively obscure set of browsers, although it's not as glitch-free as the old version. (As it's only in beta, I can ignore the glitches for now.)

* The zero click info box was probably due for a bit of love and attention. The new idea does seem good in principle, though there are a few problems that make the current implementation less than stellar.

* The Images, Videos, etc, tabs are a very welcome addition. I am not sure that the search technology behind them is quite ready for primetime yet though. Try searching for "24" and hitting "Videos" for example; then compare to the Google result for the same search.

The bad:

* The general aesthetics aren't great. The previous design was always clean and attractive. The new home page colour scheme makes it look a bit like someone has thrown a bucket of poo at the screen, and it hasn't quite been cleaned off properly. Still, I suppose looks aren't the most important thing if the functionality is OK.

* There's one big UI faux pas committed in several places - it's not a good idea to hide major controls until some special area of screen is hovered over. This applies to the new scrolling info bar, and also to the "more results from this site" control on the results. Two reasons not to do this:

1. It's much less efficient from a usability perspective. The user is forced to hit two onscreen targets, the second of which isn't even visible until they have hit the first.

2. It's not compatible with a wide range of input devices. Not everything has a concept of "hover over". For example these features are now unusable on my phone's browser, for no good reason.

* While I think the new scrolling bar has a lot of promise, it also has some obvious problems. Among them are:

1. It would be good to have some way to see all the information on offer, in a reasonably compact form. I was impressed to see that pretty much all the key data from the old info box is available before scrolling, even though at first glance it looks like the information density is lower. But once you do start scrolling it all starts to fall to pieces, feeling like you're spooling through a mile of ticker tape to find the item you're looking for, while the rest of the screen sits there unused, mocking you. And the "view all" option (when it works, which is not always) fills up the whole screen with empty space. Empty, that is, except for a set of randomly shuffled cards from which finding information feels a bit like playing pelmanism. I'm sure something clever can be done here that would improve the usability greatly without throwing away the core idea.

2. The priority ordering of information appears to be not nearly as good as the old system. (Simple example: a search for "test" lists some Canadian wrestler as the third most important item. The old site does a bit better than that.)

3. The "go to category" function doesn't work as well as it ought to. I'd expect it to focus down onto the selected category. Instead it just jumps to a preset scroll position in the big linear tape of things, with no visual cue as to where the category starts or ends. I imagine that doing it this way is also what has given rise to problem 3 - there's a conflict here between presenting the information in categories and presenting it in order of relevance, and I'm not sure that can be resolved without having two different views.

4. A pet hate of mine - why on earth, 40 years after the invention of the scroll bar, and nearly 10 years after my trackpad had a scroll gesture added, does anyone think it's a good idea to use cumbersome old-fashioned giant buttons to scroll things? Just because it's temporarily in vogue at Apple doesn't mean it's any good. I'm not sure I'd ever reach the end of the list of items under normal circumstances because it involves way too much clicking, one click for every three or four items. And there's no good indication of where you are in the big list.

* The very monochrome look of the results page detracts from the usability - it takes more visual processing to separate the individual results than it did on the old site, where there were some good colour cues to assist the user's brain in that task.

* Meanwhile the left and right margins now look massively oversized and space-wasting. That's surprising given that they are only about the same size as on the old site - but the because the old version put something vaguely useful in that area, it made the design feel clean rather than wasteful.

* Speaking of wasted space, somehow the redesign has made about 15% less results fit on screen at any one time. I'm not quite sure how that has been achieved - is it the font sizes? The spacing? Anyhow, it's not a killer problem, and I can use the "zoom out" function of my browser to get the old density back, but I'd have thought that this would have been quite an important consideration given that the results are the whole point of the site.

* The menu button on the homepage is pretty well camouflaged. I guess it's OK once you have found it. But couldn't it, perhaps, say "Menu" or "More" or something next to it, to make it a bit more obvious? I do hope the new DDG hasn't developed an allergy to words in its interface. (This use of unclear, highly-stylised icons is likely to be a bigger problem for novice users who aren't as techically aware - it's the kind of thing I've seen plenty of non-technical people struggling with on Android smartphones, for example.)

The Ugly:

These are the dealbreakers - if these things aren't fixed when "next" becomes "now", I'll have to go back to evaluating alternative search engines, and stop recommending DDG as a homepage.

* I appreciate that some people will really like the auto-suggest. Personally I hate it, and it's one of the reasons I rarely visit Google any more. Yes, I have some good reasons for this:

1. Sending all my keystrokes to the server as I type them is a big privacy hole.

2. It's also a performance problem when I'm on a poor connection (e.g. on the move).

3. My brower has a perfectly good history auto-complete that this function usurps. The browser knows the kind of things I may search for; the auto-complete doesn't. Which leads to...

4. This is just a personal preference rather than a reasoned argument, but I find it really irritating to see all the inane suggestions come up that have nothing to do with anything I would ever search for. (Or sometimes instead they are actively embarassing - type "test", for example and you get offered "testicular cancer symptoms" as choice #2.) Seriously - you do NOT know better than I do what I am searching for.

Any chance auto-complete could be something that can be switched off in the settings?

* The full URL paths of the results are only shown one at a time, on hover-over. Maybe this is OK for beginner-level users, but for someone with better search skills, the URL path is a vital piece of information when quickly scanning the results to find the ones that are most useful. Only displaying the full path when a result has already been chosen is a major loss of capability. Again, could this be a settings option (if it can't just be entirely reinstated)?

The other general thing that has worried me is the Google-like "we don't care" attitude I saw expressed in one of the official forum replies here. You know, the sort of reply that says: "Tough on you if you really liked our product, everything must always be constantly changing to please the Great God Marketing, and we can always get another customer base if we lose you lot." That's something I haven't seen from DDG before. It's the sort of business logic that led to New Coke. It's also the kind of thing that generated the market niche for DDG in the first place, when Google started behaving that way. Please, DuckDuckGo - don't be evil!
yegg
Thanks for the great feedback! This is all very useful and we will indeed have a setting to turn off auto-suggest.

I apologize if another thread made you feel that way. This is a community moderated forum.
anonymous
Thank you for posting this! I am quite disappointed too, for virtually the same reasons. I also am surprised by the overwhelmingly positive feedback I saw on the forum since the beta thing was revealed.
anonymous
I really like the whole thing, I feel like it might be overly Google influenced though. I realize that optimized design is optimized design and you can't really help it if another website already has that. So other than that I love it.
anonymous
Although this is stated to be fixed, I want to throw my opinion on it: auto-suggest.
1) I know it will be an option, but any form of mind-control is never good. Let the people search what they want to. Don't lure them into anything. Be completely agnostic on what the user wants.

2) Layout isn't the best, but it is a beta so I'm sure that'll be fixed.

3) Suggestion: have the left and right arrow keys work your top bar. The up and down already take care of the results.

4) I only saw one arrow in the top bar when looking at the instant results. My search term was pokemon which has 6 meanings. I clicked on the right arrow and can't go back to read the first meaning.

5) Inconsistent top bar! Search giraffe and dog and your results don't look anything alike.

6) A lot of the points that Evropi made I agree with.

Personally, I'm rather happy with the old version. Why change?
anonymous
I have been using the nextDDG and my first impression was wow it's great. I love the new images, videos and the others. But i found it hard to use it if you just want to search images you have to do two clicks in every search. It should change the page like duckduckgo.com/images/ when you want to search just images, it would better. Thanks, great work.
yegg
Duly noted! Note if you just type images after your search it should auto-open to that tab.
anonymous
The new UI looks good, but sorry, I hate the autocompletion feature (one of the reason I was happy to leave google), and I can't find a way to disable this in the settings. I hope it will be possible because it's really annoying in my opinion.
anonymous
sorry, I didn't notice until now the autocompletion was called "auto suggest" earlier. So I'm happy it will only be an option. And I agree with what other people said about it (we feel like observed when it autocompletes what we type).

You ducks rock! ;)
anonymous
I also came here looking for a way to turn off the autocomplete / autosuggest / or whatever they call it. To me it's highly distracting and annoying, and it's the one thing I always turn off when using Google (even if they have made it increasingly difficult to do so). So unfortunately I can't use the Beta until this option to turn it off (and have it stay off) is added.
Choca
why doesn't this come up [http://oi60.tinypic.com/2nbt178.jpg]
anonymous
<link title="DuckDuckGo" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml" rel="search" href="/opensearch_ssl.xml">

OpenSearch_ssl.xml does not exist.
yegg
What page is that on?
jwalantsoneji
What are the keyboard shortcuts to open up images, video, places pans?
Is there a new shortcuts list page?
posted by jwalantsoneji 4 years and 2 months ago Link
zac
We're working on updating the keyboard shortcuts but don't have an updated list quite yet. Aiming to have it available when it goes to general availability.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 2 months ago Link
Mallart
If I press the down arrow key on the result query page I end up scrolling downward for infinity without a pause. This didn't happen to me yesterday. The only way for me to stop this is to close the browser and re-open it.
I’m using IE8 on Windows 7 at work.
anonymous
First of all, I would like to commend you on the new website, I really liked it when I first saw it. I have been using Duckduckgo for a few years now, and I have been desperately antcipating an incorporated images search. Thank you very much for your hard work.

There is only this bit that sticks out:
When I search for something and I look at the video results, it is good that you have put that disclaimer that "Youtube does not allow you to see videos anonymously". The problem arises when there is no alternative and most -if not all- the results come back from youtube. Some more guidance or options would be nice at that point.

For example, is there another video content provider that would be preferable? Can I repeat the search in dailymotion or veoh, or somewhere else? I would like to be able to click on something from the results page that would do just that. A suggestion box perhaps?

There used to be an arrow next to the search box that would help me search in other search engines, as well as some icons on the right. I can no longer find them.
anonymous
I just found a search that displayed no results in the beta version:

Also as mentioned on other threads, having the mouse wheel be able to scroll the image results would be great.
anonymous
I like the fact that you can now search for images and videos on the duckduckgo site instead of needing to use a different search engine for things like that however I dislike many of the features in the new version:

• I personally preferred the old gradiented header and it would be nice if it was an option to use this in the new design, or would that be included in the classic theme you are going to introduce?

• All searches that include the word 'image' show an images bar above the search even when an image would not be an appropriate result (For example the searches 'can you draw directly to an image using its graphics instance in java' and 'how to add images to an excel spreadsheet' both display image results even though they would not answer the question whereas the old site displayed useful videos for the excel search)

• When the 0-click bar is turned off an empty bar is still displayed for searches that would usually display the products tab e.g. 'hdmi cable' (On both the latest Chrome and Firefox 28 on Windows 7)

• Another minor bug that I noticed was that when I click the menu button the scroll bar disappears causing the rest of the page to move left slightly, this happens in both Firefox and Chrome but does not happen when my browser is in fullscreen mode however. In 'left' placement mode only the related topics section of the about section moves however in the 'middle' placement mode it affects almost all of the page.

• The comics tab that appears when searching for things such as 'xkcd' always displays the image to the left of the screen even when the middle placement is selected in the settings. (Chrome and Firefox)

• The description in the about section is the correct width for the left placement option even when the middle option is selected causing the text to go underneath the related topics box. (Chrome and Firefox)

• The search results don't seem to be as useful as they were before, for example any search with /r/ at the beginning used to provide results for the subreddit of that name however now some of them (such as '/r/mildly interesting' and '/r/twitch plays pokemon') no longer have links to the actual subreddits anywhere on the first page. There are also many other searches that I have found that do not produce as useful results but I am not going to post any more here.

• As many others have said I think that the contrast of the default coloured text against the background is far too low which makes it quite difficult to read. I have changed most of the colours to ones that I prefer now however the visited links always display as the default colour regardless of what is selected in the settings. (Chrome and Firefox)

I appreciate the release of beta versions to allow the community to have a say on the future of the site and I hope that some of these issues will be fixed before the final release.