Is DDG regional?

smartroad smartroad
Created: 4 years and 2 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 2 months ago
When I search in DDG I only every seem to get results for US sites. Am I missing a setting here that prioritizes returns for regional websites? I am in the UK and when searching for a retailer I always seem to get US sites listed first.

Cheers!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
In settings you can change your region of interest.
Am sure your search results will have a massive turn around.

Cheers and Happy Weekend Friend!!

[ http://postimg.org/image/wgexa0hyz/]

[http://postimg.org/image/qdhdggx25/]
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
It's a nice idea but this simply doesn't work. I've been using DDG for around six months now and have had UK set as my region in the settings for all of that time. Unfortunately, US websites still dominate searches. For this reason I find that I still have to use other search engines frequently. There's evidently a problem with regional settings in the DDG algorithm that hasn't been sorted out yet.
SaddamHussain
Yep, didn't work well for me either. I am living in Bulgaria, but our alphabet is quite similar to the Russian alphabet. So, whenever I search in Bulgarian, most of the results are in Russian, despite the fact that I checked "Bulgaria" as a region.
posted by SaddamHussain 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I have the same problem, I think there's a problem with the algorithm. It's by far my biggest frustration with DDG and the one that stops me recommending it to other people.
Aramith
I can confirm that regional setting don't seem to make any difference.
results are very heavily geared to US news networks, BBC is way down the list of results.
posted by Aramith 4 years and 2 months ago Link
Ramez
Same problem here...the "Arabic region" settings shows a tiny or actually no difference in search results comparing to the default "No region" settings?
posted by Ramez 4 years and 2 months ago Link
anonymous
I never knew these problems ever existed.I had a presumption that changing the settings would change the relevancy of results.
I pull back my answer.
Then this is a serious and severe improvement to be done first
apometron
I can reproduce it.

I set region to Brazil and searched "noticias" (news, in English), DuckDuckGo gave me Spanish results.

It seems there is a bug in DuckDuckGo.

I love Autocompletion, I was wishing it a lot.
posted by apometron 4 years and 2 months ago Link