What is the license of the DuckDuckGo logo and website?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 9 months ago • Updated: 3 years and 9 months ago
Can a screenshot of the main page and the logo be released under a Creative Commons license?

Most websites are non-free, which means that a screenshot of their page cannot be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, which in turn implies that the picture cannot be used across all Wikipedias. See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Facebook_Login_Screen.jpg

Sure, the English Wikipedia allows fair use for files that are uploaded locally, but other Wikipedias such as those in Spanish, Swedish, Polish, Danish, etc. can only use files from Commons, which requires that all of its files be released under a free license.

What is DuckDuckGo's stance on this? What I'm really hoping is that DuckDuckGo licenses its main page and logo under a Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA), GFDL, MIT License, or any other free license that would allow people to use the files on all Wikipedias without any fuss.

Both the logo and a screenshot of the main page are currently on Commons, but we need to provide evidence that DuckDuckGo approves of their presence there and agrees to release them under a free license.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Krommy
I can't say about the screenshot, but the logo and assorted other stuff are CC-BY-NC, which is incompatible with Commons. I know that some sites will release under something else if you ask nicely (crossing my fingers for here!) (see the info at for an example). I'll try and find where I found all that, once I figure out where it was, I'll post the link.
posted by Krommy 3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 9 months ago Link
zac
We're looking into making this a bit clearer! Thanks for bumping it to our attention.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
anonymous
What about the screenshot? It's now nominated for deletion...
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago Link
mwatermelon
A new logo has been uploaded with the correct license (on wikipedia EN ) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DuckDuckGo_Logo_%28mid_2014%29.svg .

The other one (Wikipedia commons) will be deleted.
posted by mwatermelon Staff3 years and 9 months ago Link
ScreapDK
I WANT FAIR USE TO DENMARK!!!!! 😭 Booohooo! (ToT)
*sniff*... *sniff*... or even better the... the whole of EU. :' (
posted by ScreapDK Community Leader3 years and 6 months ago Link