DuckDuckGo Beta Refinements 2

caine Staff caine
Created: 3 years and 8 months ago
Since our last post, we've been hard at work on your suggestions. The major focus of this release is themes and settings. We also spent some time on disambiguation, official sites, and cleaning up some of the visually rough edges. Here is what to expect:

• Themes (the most popular themes are in the menu)
• Favicon updates (including retina)
• Settings updated

Squashed bugs:
• Fix when official site is improperly marked or too ambiguous to mark
• Right / Middle click on results works again

Instant answers:
• New disambiguation algorithm that can better evaluate ambiguous results
• Show Goodies more often

We could really use your help with any browser like bugs you're encountering. It's important to us that the functionality is ubiquitous and cross-browser. If you see something broken, please report it either using the feedback button or in a comment to this post. There are still some rough edges, but we're getting much closer. Thanks again for all of your help, we couldn't do this without you!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Choca
The changing theme buttons don't work
posted by Choca 3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
What browser are you experiencing this on?
posted by caine Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
It did work for me. The changes between Default and Classic are a bit subtle, you should notice the URLs change from abbreviated in Default to full in Classic. Also, sites that your browser recognizes as previously visited no longer have a ☑ next to them.

Try the Dark theme, it's much easier to tell the difference...
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader3 years and 8 months ago Link
zac
Yep. Maybe Choca didn't notice the classic change bc the homepage doesn't change.
posted by zac Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
anirudh24seven
"Also, sites that your browser recognizes as previously visited no longer have a ☑ next to them."

Agree with this part. They disappear in Classic theme.
posted by anirudh24seven 3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
I just replicated what @Choca is seeing, themes don't change (results page) using Ubuntu and Midori when selecting themes from the side menu. When a theme is selected, the checkmark disappears, never to return, and there is no theme change.

Themes change fine from the Settings screen, so it's a menu select issue with the side menu.

Thanks
x.15a2
Same goes for any browser that I tried from my Android tablet (FF, Dolphin and the default Android browser), even if I requested the Desktop version of the web site (I know, with responsive design that shouldn't change anything, but thought I'd give it a try). Let me know if I can provide any other details.

Thanks!
x.15a2
Clicking on different themes now works with Ubuntu\Midori, but the setting is lost when moving between pages.
Choca
I'm seeing this on my iPad if I go on a computer it works fine
brians
This should be fixed on touch devices now.
posted by brians Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
Choca
Yup it works fine now
Pytsh
Hello,

When I use the middle placement, the text in the 'About' tab doesn't show correctly. If there is enough text, it will be hidden by the 'Related Topic' box.

It works for any query in Firefox.

(I'm sorry if I made grammar mistakes, English isn't my first language)
posted by Pytsh 3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
Noted! We will fix this before the official launch.
brians
The overlapping issues with middle alignment should be fixed now!
posted by brians Staff3 years and 8 months ago Link
Pytsh
It works fine ! Thanks
anonymous
I made a comment on the previous post about the next DuckDuckGo however less than an hour after I submitted it the thread was locked due to this update. I shall re-post all of my comments that still apply to the updated version to this thread as I am not sure if my previous post would have been seen however almost all of the complaints that I made have now been fixed and so I am now looking forward to seeing how the next DuckDuckGo develops.

• I personally preferred the old gradiented header and it would be nice if it was an option to use this in the new design. I am also now unable to change the colour of the header since all of the colours display as the default white however changing the header colour worked in the previous version. (Chrome and Firefox)

• All searches that include the word 'image' show an images bar above the search even when an image would not be an appropriate result (For example the searches 'can you draw directly to an image using its graphics instance in java' and 'how to add images to an excel spreadsheet' both display image results even though they would not answer the question whereas the old site displayed useful videos for the excel search)

• Another minor bug that I noticed was that when I click the menu button the scroll bar disappears causing the rest of the page to move left slightly, this happens in both Firefox and Chrome but does not happen when my browser is in fullscreen mode however. In 'left' placement mode only the related topics section of the about section moves however in the 'middle' placement mode it affects almost all of the page.

• The comics tab that appears when searching for things such as 'xkcd' always displays the image to the left of the screen even when the middle placement is selected in the settings. (Chrome and Firefox)

• The description in the about section is the correct width for the left placement option even when the middle option is selected causing the text to go underneath the related topics box. (Chrome and Firefox)

I appreciate the release of beta versions to allow the community to have a say on the future of the site and quite major improvements have already occurred since the process began and so I'm confident that most of these issues will be fixed before the final release.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago Link
Sax
The text and the DuckDuckGo logo are blurry with the Dark theme. In Pale Moon (ver.24.5.0).
[http://i60.tinypic.com/nbdkjm.jpg]
posted by Sax 3 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
The logo is indeed 1px to width/height
x.15a2
This seems to have been corrected.
anirudh24seven
A few comments on the button which invokes the side pane:

- In Firefox on Mac OS X, the scroll bar partly overlaps the button, making the experience slightly less polished: http://imgur.com/1nBcjd1 Should the button be shifted a little to the left?

- Why not retain the same icon with a toggled style to it, instead of replacing the icon with a close-button icon? Has there been any discussion around this?
posted by anirudh24seven 3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
Noted on the spacing. We will work on it. As for the toggled style, it's not as clear as the (X).
anonymous
I think I've seen the weirdest thing in the history of beta testing: in Italian, the "set as Home" text is translated as "Imposta come Si converte, islamici gli staccano la testa dal corpo", which means "Set as Converts, Istamics behead him". It should simply be "Imposta come Home", no need to kill anyone.

[http://i.imgur.com/1tUr4cE.png]
caine
We've deployed a fix for this. Sorry about that!
jackyan
Odd, my Duck forum login username and password disappeared so I had to sign up again.

Anyway: the shortened URLs are a bit annoying to me. It feels like, when doing a site search, that everything is on the same page (until I hover).

The more serious bug: I can’t get it to work on Android, Dolphin browser. I go to the home page and try to enter something. The keyboard comes up but no characters echo in the search box. I have to make half a dozen attempts before anything shows.
posted by jackyan 3 years and 8 months ago Link
x.15a2
Thanks for the input.
Quote:
Anyway: the shortened URLs are a bit annoying to me. It feels like, when doing a site search, that everything is on the same page (until I hover).
Shortened URL's are now configurable (on\off) in settings and are also off by default if you use the Classic theme.

Quote:
I can’t get it to work on Android, Dolphin browser. I go to the home page and try to enter something. The keyboard comes up but no characters echo in the search box. I have to make half a dozen attempts before anything shows.
Hmmm, I have Dolphin 11.0.1 on Samsung tablet (Android 4.2.2) and it worked fine, both from the main page input field and from the results page input field. I'm installing Dolphin on my Nexus phone right now, if my results are different from the tablet, I'll report it here.

Thanks!

jackyan
Brilliant, x.15a2, thank you for letting me know the URLs are configurable. That makes my life a bit easier!

I am on the same version of Dolphin but not sure about Android—I suspect mine is 4.0.1—running on a Huawei Ascend Y200.

If it helps, it seems to like lowercase letters more than uppercase letters (as in I don’t need to repeat the effort as many times with lowercase queries).
anonymous
In the settings page, the links "What is this?" and "Bookmarklet and settings data" don't work.
Mallart
"Squashed bugs:
• Right / Middle click on results works again``
-----

I am unable to `open in a new tab` via right clicking on a news article from instant answer.
posted by Mallart 3 years and 8 months ago Link
caine
This is just for the organic links. We are working on updating all of the tiles right now!
Pytsh
Another minor bug :
When no tab is selected and opened, the 'return to top' button doesn't appear if I scroll down. It works correctly if I open a tab.
anonymous
"Naughty" things show up in safe mode in autocomplete that probably shouldn't:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jcebbly7crjzbv...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8q566ofybwi1di...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ops31tm3oxtlyp...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d0g6a14xbg4jp...

Yes many of those are forced, but I made sure that I could think of a legitimate search for each of them first. I am not saying they shouldn't be there, and I am sure having two autocompletes one for safe and one for not would be an issue... but it would be awesome to have.

Obviously there are ones you can't fix but I saw this one and cringed, not saying to fix it... just pointing out the horrors of autocomplete.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b57a8sxk5fw862...

It would also be nice if autocomplete would do math and instant answers. 1+1 should be 2 first
anonymous
Annoyance:
Clicking anywhere that's not blue in this image will not focus the text field. I think expected behaviour is if you click anywhere on the text field you should be able to start typing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8beocqjl6dwhz...
Mallart
I highlighted in blue what I think needs a sharper font style. It currently look too fuzzy and it can hurt your eyes if you look at it long enough.

I'm using IE 11 on Windows 8.1

[http://oi62.tinypic.com/30xc22r.jpg]
SaddamHussain
Just a small visual thing:

When going to "https://next.duckduckgo.com/bang.html" while using the default dark themes, text is unreadable, because the font color is dark.

posted by SaddamHussain 3 years and 8 months ago Link
Pytsh
Also, in this page, the menu says "Use in %s" and "Set as %s" in Add Duckduckgo, in any themes.
anonymous
Saw this as well. FF29 Win8
Mallart
The settings page is not appearing on IE 8 in Windows 7.

http://i60.tinypic.com/105v3ls.jpg
x.15a2
I've replicated this in IE8
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 8 months ago
anonymous
I'm enjoying the beta and I like that the community is involved in this. Finally took the time to make an account because of all of this last week. I already see that the searches I made last week with no results now work as expected.

The new instant answers have grown on me. I love being able to have images right there too. I always hated having to do that through Google. I did like how meanings were displayed in a quicker to read vertical list before, but this is more cohesive.

I was a little confused when I noticed some words above the meanings. It looked like it showed there were so many hits in each category?
[http://i.imgur.com/Pmbd0Fw.png]

I like how easy it is now to switch to a dark theme on the side bar. I did like that classic changed the colors of the URLs and made them full again and that there wasn't a dark theme with this option, but I was able to quickly change the URL shortening in the settings.

For link shortening. Maybe another option would be making it more like Firefox where it bolds the main URL and has the rest faded out.
[http://i.imgur.com/brO25vo.png]

Some about DDG pages are unreadable in the dark theme. For example the bang page and the privacy page.

As I mentioned last time: I miss the gradient header still. I'm not a fan of this flat UI fad.

Regardless, especially in the dark theme, the header is identical to the rest of the page and doesn't stand out at all. I would like for the dark theme to at least give it a slightly different color to differentiate it.

For the rest the colors of the dark theme are nice. I like that it's greys instead of black like the old one. The instant answers boxes look a little out of place with their stark white though.

Also when you go to the colors page in the settings it doesn't seem to know which colors you have enabled already if you're using the dark theme.

I also would like an option to put the site favicons back on the left of the result title instead of underneath. I feel like I see them quicker there.

On other threads there have been mentions of scrolling through images or news with the mouse wheel when they are in a single row before expanded. That would be really cool.
Also, I was wondering, does DDG crawl for images itself or is it using a third party to search for them?

This is all for FF29 Win 8.
0x539
Hi,
I first want to say that I really like the new design. What I've noticed so far is that when you search for something that has lots of meanings (to be more precisely, I searched for "tmi"), you get an instant answer from Wikipedia showing all possible meanings. The problem is, that the articles appearing in the category "Top" (btw i really like that) appear twice, because they appear again later in another category.

I'm sorry if my english isn't very good.
posted by 0x539 3 years and 8 months ago Link
0x539
I just notice another bug: The xkcd goodie is being cut off when it's long like here: https://next.duckduckgo.com/?q=xkcd+1362
posted by 0x539 3 years and 8 months ago Link
anonymous
A couple of Settings features no longer seem to be working properly. Not sure how long this has been the case -- I just noticed now. They were working somewhat recently, though.

-The feedback button is no longer appearing, even though its activated in Settings.
-On the Color tab of Settings, everything has defaulted to White/Grey. However, when I'm actually on DDG, the color preferences I originally set are still being used.

I'm running Firefox 29.0.1 on Mac OSX 10.9.3. I updated to 10.9.3 quite recently, so perhaps that could be the problem.
Mallart
I don't know if it just me but the instant answer seems disproportionally stretched out across the page (like a banner) while the organic search is oriented to the centre of the page.
[http://oi60.tinypic.com/6h7w5k.jpg]

It would be nice to centre the instant answer in the query page like in the current duckduckgo
Pytsh
I have this result too, but personally, I like it (but I chose the wide width, so it doesn't look as disproportionate as you).

Maybe the settings could have a checkbox, indicating if the instant answer must follow the selected width or stay as it is.
jackyan
Just adding to my earlier note (apologies if this should have been part of the reply thread). Things have improved, but there are still some bugs for me.

• Based on my set-up (Android 4.0.1 running Dolphin), I cannot begin any query with an uppercase letter. All queries must be in lowercase. The minute I feed in a capital, the cursor becomes an arrow and I can’t type any more.
• The keyboard usually doesn’t disappear after the query is fed in, and occupies half of the results’ page until I hit backspace. (In fact, the first time I went to the new DDG, no keyboard would appear. I had to exit and clear the cache twice on Dolphin before I could get a keyboard.)
• I no longer have the horizontal bar featuring correct spellings when typing a DuckDuckGo query, which is really frustrating for a guy like me with fat fingers.

I’m happy to take screen shots.

Whatever the case, it has improved a lot since I sampled next.duckduckgo.com last week.
anonymous
Well, DDG seems have gone from absolutely wonderful in WinXP & FF2 to aggravating and broken. Works ok in WinXP & Chrome (which is a memory pig). DDG had been allowing me to use older & un-upgradable systems effectively, till now.
anonymous
Firstly, I'd just like to eat a few of my words. I opened up DDG just a few minutes ago and noticed the new site had already taken effect, which I'd been dreading. Well, I figured I owed it to you guys at least to give it another decent go. I'm pleased to report that the Cleartype is no longer forcing itself to be active (it does show up initially, however it disappears once settings are loaded), and performance is drastically improved from when I tried it last week. When I say drastically, I mean it. Like instead of a slideshow, it actually scrolls. It's still not as snappy as the old site but it is usable. I judged it (and you) far too harshly and quickly when you hadn't really done anything to deserve it outside of making, what I perceived to be, one more horribly performing website.

That said, I'd like to dust off and re-submit a suggestion I gave a few years ago that never saw the light of day. I'd still really love to see an option that stops whole singular results from being one large button. I know there's a highlight option in the colors that can be disabled, which is nice but not specifically what I'm referring to. The text that isn't actually a link is still clickable, which I'd like to see an option to disable so that the only possible way to open a link is to click on the link itself.
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Agree with above poster about an option to not have only a "one big button" for results, but only links being clickable.

Anyway, didn't expect next to reach so quickly release. Another suggestion : adding the retro theme to the quick theme list of the menu. This shouldn't need digging in advanced parameters.
anonymous
Needing to dig in advanced settings, save options to cloud, etc....

The original DDG was the way to go and I really really loved it. It is sad but may have to move on from DDG now.
clel
Autocomplete selection with keyboard should work as it does on Google:
- Highlighting/substituting the suggestion whith error keys (already working)
- When bringing the selection back to the input field, the original input phrase is restored. Currently one is stuck with the last selected phrase.

This feature is very nice and I would like to see it added.

Also I would like to know, whether the speed of autocomplete will be further improved to be usable.
posted by clel 3 years and 7 months ago Link
0x539
I think I found this bug: If you click on one of the images in the images tab you see it bigger, but it's cut off at the bottom.

[http://i.imgur.com/zhzo82x.png]

I'm using Firefox 29.0.1 on Windows 7.
posted by 0x539 3 years and 7 months ago Link
TopHattedCoder
I can't reproduce this on Firefox 31.0a1 on Windows 8, so this is probably a formatting issue that was only recently fixed in Firefox Nightly.
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader3 years and 7 months ago Link
TopHattedCoder
posted by TopHattedCoder Community Leader3 years and 7 months ago Link
0x539
It doesn't happen on chrome (or at least SRWare Iron), too.
posted by 0x539 3 years and 7 months ago Link
Mallart
When turning off the ads sometimes a gap is left in it place as opposed to being replaced by the first organic search (as it often happens majority of the time).

[http://i58.tinypic.com/jk87mg.jpg]

P.S this also happens when you type in 'Cairn Terrier'.
posted by Mallart 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
Hello, I am using Ubuntu 14.04, Firefox 29 on my desktop pc. A bug I encountered was that the underline setting wouldn't respond. I wanted to turn it off but results would appear underlined regardless of my choice on settings. I had to reset settings to default to get it to actually disable underline.