Pull-down options menu for searches (where to find?)

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 6 months ago
In classic DDG, you have what's shown in the screenshot. Where do you find these search refinement options in DDG Next?
Attached Files: 1
Screen shot 2014-05-18 at 6.48.39 PM.png - Full

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

zac
They're baked into the autosuggest now---you can access the entire list just by typing ! into the search box and trying various letters. It's a 2-teir autocomplete system so you can find any !bang a lot easier now.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 6 months ago Link
aderojas
I've been trying on Firefox and can't get the !bang to work. Am I missing something? Auto-suggest is on in my settings.

Also, the !bangs / autocomplete are faster but less intuitive, meaning new users will have a harder time finding out how to take advantage of the feature.
posted by aderojas 4 years and 6 months ago Link
zac
Hmm, you don't see the !bang options like these?

http://imgur.com/a/L5TmX
aderojas
I was trying yesterday on Firefox and Chrome and they didn't show up, but it's working now. Also, my "customized colours" are working today too, but it didn't seem to work yesterday either.

Thanks!
aderojas
As other users are commenting, though, I think this feature makes things a bit harder to new users. How are they going to know about !bangs?
anonymous
That's bad news for me personally. I have autosuggest off plus it doesn't seem like a significantly faster method compared to menus when browsing on a tablet (which is what I use 98% of the time).

I don't suppose I can still use the old version of DDG?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
This doesn't seem a lot easier to me.
zac
Would it work if we added the dropdown as an optional setting?
anonymous
Yes please. It would certainly be more user friendly for people new to DDG. It would also be useful for those who despise autosuggest and have that turned off too (judging by some of the posts in the forums, I am not the only one who feels this way.)
anonymous
I would be all for this! One of the most useful features of the previous design, quicker to get (for instance) google maps and not mapquest.
anonymous
Absolutely.
anonymous
How do I search for a image and then find larger sizes of the image I choose ?
or reverse search a image I find?
zac
We don't have that functionality baked in but we'll be tweaking going forward. The community can also make a TinEye instant answer, for example, with DuckDuckHack: http://duckduckhack.com/
eohippus
I, too, miss the drop down menu items, particularly the sort by date. Yes, I could use "sort:date" but most newbie users would not know that. To expand the user base of DDG, DDG should be easy and simple to use.

Also, instead of just a simple magnifying glass search icon, why not add icons for more specific searches, such as an icon of a camera or photo plus a magnifying glass to signify "image search", another icon of a film video plus the magnifying glass to signify "video search", etc. These icons could even change much like the tabs. Or use tabs like a browser to separate different types of search results.
posted by eohippus 4 years and 6 months ago Link
anonymous
I want these back as well, that was the best feature of ddg.
anonymous
I love the new way so much easier. Keep up the good job!