The new interface is a step backwards

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 1 month ago • Updated: 4 years and 1 month ago
I'm a long time user of DDG, and I'm really not satisfied with the new interface. Sure, I can change my cloud save settings to remove the annoying auto-complete, and also the annoying WIDE ribbon at the top. And I can use the classic interface and change my colors, but that does not fix all that is now broken.

+ The drop down selection for bangs is now missing. I used and liked it.
+ The box to the right with a list of specific, and relevant sites to the query is gone. I used and like it.
+ The neat and tidy box at the top of query's showing instant information is gone. No that WIDE ugly ribbon is not an alternative.
+ The new fonts and layout, quite frankly, look like one of those cheap free Wordpress templates that the spammers used to use to build Adsense pay sites. Ugly.

Honestly, I don't like it at all. I'll still use DDG because I like what you guys stand for, but I don't see how this interface is going to help drive traffic. Updating the look is a good thing, but get a designer for it next time. Please consider revising it again.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
I want the old interface back. I loved it so much. Please make a URL with EXACTLY the same look, feel and functionality as the old site. What is a good alternative for Duck Duck go I wonder? Today I have used Google in a long time and I think it is now better than Duck Duck go. Why must something that was almost perfect be changed? Why????????
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
buckeye
there's already a bunch of posts on these forums about classic and old skool themes and the html version
posted by buckeye 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
DDG, you had a perfect thing! Why?!?!?!?!?!!
anonymous
I agree. The old DDG was PERFECT. Now it sucks and s counterintuitive.
anonymous
Please say it ain't so...
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
I agree.
rocketpenguin23
Go to duckduckgo.com/html to get the old version back, more or less.
posted by rocketpenguin23 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Not at all the same. Just looks like a splash page minus all the useful stuff that used to be part of DDG's interface. Sucks.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 28 days ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 28 days ago
anonymous
I agree. The new interface is terrible. Removing the drop-down box on the right side of the search field was a huge mistake. Now the option to search for images does not appear until after the first web search, and there are no easily accessed links for searching Bing or Google images.

Also, the image search results are not formatted as shown in the example. The example presents all image hits on one page which scrolls down. No. The actual image search results are shown on only one line of images at the top of the page and must be scrolled horizontally to see the rest of the hits. More wasted time, more aggravation.

The problem with the alternate URL suggested by rocketpenguin23 (duckduckgo.com/html) is that the drop-down box to the right of the search field is still missing.

What was accomplished by removing useful UI tools, adding more operations to get the results we want, and not providing an easily accessible URL for the old interface?

Please give us a working link to the old interface, or, if you have already done so, MAKE IT VISIBLE.
anonymous
After looking around at other forum posts, I found that an incomplete version of the original drop-down menu can be accessed by setting Autocomplete to ON and entering "!" in the search field. There are no visible instructions to do this anywhere on the home page.

The top-level menu is incomplete because Google Images is missing from options. Why was it removed. Once again, without visible instruction, you have to know to enter "!g" in the search field in order to see the missing Google Image search option.

None of this is as intuitive as the old drop-down menu with an icon to the right of the search field. Why hide everything like this behind hotchars that the user has to research in order to figure out how to use it? What was the point?
zac
Yes, there's definitely some confusion. That dropdown was just a very small sample of which !bangs are available. Check out this post to help clarify: https://duck.co/forum/thread/6031/where-...
posted by zac Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
How many ways can we say that the new interface isn't as functional as the old one? And it's slower, and presents fewer results "per screen" ?
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 29 days ago Link
anonymous
Agreed!
anonymous
Change for changes sake is never good, bring back the drop down ibangs box and I'll be glad to re-enable advertising on DDG.

Deal?
anonymous
I also vote.... please bring the old DDG back! Please!!!!
anonymous
Since this is a critics thread I will add the negatives which are slight yet significant, if you hope to promote the search engine.

I'd use different default settings. I'd make the search results appear in mid page not to the left side. If you have a wide screen like most people do then results appear too the left of your straight forward looking eyes. That's more work.

Also the ribbon appearing below the box after a search is annoying to look at every time. The default setting hits me like you are secretly advertising product results. The default should only show links. It is not obvious enough to go to Menu Button > Settings> Results> Open Instant Answers > Open relevant Instant Answers above the organic links. That's really too buried for something that annoying.

I never want to see advertised products or pictorial images unless I specifically say so at the moment. That sort of thing is too invasive to continuously pop up in your face.

My opinion~
zac
All of these complaints seem to be around removing the dropdown menu--so I made this post to help clarify:

https://duck.co/forum/thread/6031/where-...
posted by zac Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Thank you for pointing that out. I like the way the new bang works, but I can't use it because I don't like auto-complete at all, and have turned it off.

Can DDG add a configuration option to disable query auto-complete, but allow the bang feature to become active upon entering the bang? This may actually be a feature that would satisfy many of the people such as myself that have a great dislike for auto-complete, but like the bang feature.
lazercroc
I agree. I would like to disable auto-complete on my queries, since I already know exactly what I want to search for, but I would still like to have the !bang feature, because this is something that I actually want to explore.
posted by lazercroc 4 years and 30 days ago Link
anonymous
As opposed to entering a !bang search term in the text field? That's what I always did. Didn't know there was ever a pulldown !bang menu. Just tried whatever !bang term seemed appropriate. It worked remarkably well.
zac
Duly noted--we'll definitely think more about how we can work with that.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 29 days ago Link
anonymous
Yup. I personally like to use Google Maps - yes, maybe those clowns track where I look to go or be - but I don't give much of a crap basically. Without digging through about:config, or some other plugin, it appears the new "look" is about helping people who want to plug in "Chinese food recipe" and hit search.

Let us chose what we want to do and use. Get this thing back to usable.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 30 days ago Link
x.15a2
Since DDG doesn't track searches, it make sense that they would default to mapping, weather, etc. sites that hold to the same values.

If you prefer G maps and like to search from DDG, you can have both by using the !m or !map bang, which still uses G maps.

Thanks!
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 30 days ago Link
anonymous
I'm just going to reply to this top post. I've no idea whether 'new post' means new topic. That's unnecessary. And a reason I hate geeks. They are full of attitude. It might be useful to watch them rumble with security state politicians and apologists, but Are they going to save us from the world? Or are they they world too?

I've read most of the posts here and have to say I'm in agreement with some, or most, of the criticisms. I'm not bothered by the look, but if it's true that we are getting less bang for the buck (fewer returns in searches, slower), that's not good. I came here because I was surprised to suddenly lose the ability to search images. Even if we still rely here on Google, a tax evading company I will always hate, I'd prefer the convenience of doing it from DDG.

And if I have to turn on auto fill in (which I will NEVER do) to get back other features, forget it.

I don't suppose the geeks implementing these cool changes would care to share with us why? Or must we await a whistleblower?
lazercroc
What do you mean by you've suddenly lost the ability to search images?
Image search is one of the new things on DDG, and Google images is still accessible via DDG by typing !gi

"if I have to turn on auto fill in (which I will NEVER do) to get back other features, forget it."
DDG has already taken note of this.

"I don't suppose the geeks implementing these cool changes would care to share with us why?"
Here's why: https://duck.co/forum/thread/6031/where-...

Lastly, I don't understand your "Or must we await a whistleblower?" sentence. What does it mean?
posted by lazercroc 4 years and 28 days ago Link
anonymous
You don't understand. Fair enough. I accept that. Until I learned, here, that the image search ability was 'not' actually gone, it looked to me like it had. I really don't know why that's difficult to grasp, but I think your response to my response - which got your attention - was somewhat emotional. You've put a lot of work into your project. It might seem unappreciated. I'm not there yet. But that doesn't mean that I'm completely out of the dark and think you're angels either. In this world, 'friend' doesn't even mean friend. It means 'friend, until I know why you in fact aren't'. A good example? Progressive Obama who became fascist Obama as soon as he picked his vile cabinet.

As for the whistleblower sentence: It's code (which folks who are alive and living on planet earth should know) for: There are those who mouth support for democracy, and those who, in power or in positions of authority, talk about transparency, and then there are those who talk about those things and walk their talk. And we the people are now awake to that fact. Therefore: Don't be evil, in word and deed. And part of being evil is hiding your evil. If you don't have anything to hide, reveal yourself. If you're alone in your bedroom, naked, then, of course no one should ever demand that you reveal yourself and act as though you're wrong to want to be unseen. These (neoliberal) days psychopathic corporations, which don't care about 'how' they make profits (as long as it involves somehow taking those from others so that they can feel strong, like God), make trouble but don't want to account for their actions. We can see the trouble, for we're victims of their machinations, but when we go to them (and their political tools) for answers, it's "Sorry, Proprietary information." And when governments view corporations as their constituents (but less so when seeking our support at election time), How can the people have any say in matters affecting them? Here in Canada, recently, we learned about how much power Big Pharma has when a father whose daughter died from buying one of their 'solutions', learned that his government essentially has given up it's authority to tell the people what it's own research reveals about killer drugs. And on and on it goes.

You know a little bit more about where I'm coming from. And I would say that, for now, it's more than I know about you. In the absence of information to the contrary, and despite our moaning about the changes you've made to your search engine (which you should think about from a non geek standpoint, if I may), I would say your good people, not an enemy of the 99%. DuckDuckGo is greatly appreciated by those of us keenly aware of the nasty world we all share, in which so many with bad intentions (corporatists) are too free.

Best wishes, Rick
anonymous
Rick . I know where you are coming from as I post elsewhere very strongly about "the way the World is going " and yes I agree with you but this is a DDG site not aligned with a political party putting out a very useful product free of charge. I am very happy with it but then again I like my privacy from commercial interests and use a new browser that gives me that using DDG. You cant have it both ways you either have privacy as your top priority of if you like convenience then use Google-Yahoo-etc who track you divert you to paid websites and display on Yahoo email site 31 adverts and a multitude of trackers. I lived with that for years I am not willing to now. Even had people following me round the net. Not now. No cookies held INCLUDING flash cookies-no history or any other means of watching you. Yes it isnt for many who like convenience but it suites me. ON exit I use Privazer and Bleach Bit as well as CC leaving nothing stored on my PC. Its all down to personal choice. As far as I know I am using the old version of DDG but going by the posts I will try and keep it that way.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 27 days ago Link
lazercroc
Rick, you have misunderstood me:
"You've put a lot of work into your project"
"about the changes you've made to your search engine"
I am not a developer of DDG. It is not my project and I have not made changes to it.

I apologise for not knowing the code of the whistleblower sentence, thanks for giving an explanation (although try to shorten it by saying the direct meaning without giving examples, it's much easier to understand and less boring to read that way)
However, like I said, the developers have already explained why they are changing features in the link in my previous comment.

"I would say your good people"
*you're

One more thing, try to refrain from referring to the developers as 'geeks'. Just because they are part of developing a search engine, doesn't mean you can assume that they are all geeks.
posted by lazercroc 4 years and 27 days ago Link
anonymous
Add another voice to the complaints about the new SUCKY interface. The biggest reason for using DDG, was being able to select different search engines from the drop-down box.

Hating the new interface, going to find a different search engine scraper. Will have to resort to google in the meantime (You don't HAVE to accept google's cookies ya know, if you don't want to be tracked.)
zac
posted by zac Staff4 years and 26 days ago Link
anonymous
I really really don't like the changes. Especially image and video search displays. If I want images I don't want to keep hitting show more... I want them all like it used to be. PUT IT BACK
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 27 days ago Link
zac
I think there's a bit of confusion. The dropdown would send you to other sites (since the dropdown was just a sample of the available !bang commands). I wrote this thread to solve some of that confusion:

https://duck.co/forum/thread/6031/where-...
posted by zac Staff4 years and 26 days ago Link
ddg_user123
Fully agree. I catch myself switching now mostly to google because ddg is after the change awkward. I cannot filter the results by date. Other searchengines allow that with one mouseclick. The buttons, to chose search-sources (like wiki etc) are gone. Why on Earth imitate google-chrome and let useful stuff go?
posted by ddg_user123 4 years and 26 days ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 25 days ago
DuckyKaren
Personally I use ddg through tablets and phones more than anything... and the new interference just kind of suck on mobile... before it was simple.. now? kind of annoying.
posted by DuckyKaren 3 years and 11 months ago Link
anonymous
Everything DuckDuckGo has been reset to Yahoo... is that really part of the new interface?
Or did something update at Apple?
At any rate it is irritating when success causes more problems than adversity did.
Don't shoot yourself in the web...
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 11 months ago Link