DDG new layout slowed?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 4 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 4 months ago
hi there,

i read some ramblings about the new layout, and i have to say that i agree on leaving a simpler layout, which should be DDG's priority in my opinion.

But there's something else... overall loading seems to be a bit slower on this version. I am located in London, UK.

Is it just me or this "new" version is a bit slower since heavier?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
It is not just you. It has slowed drastically for me, and also the new layout is terrible. I cant find anything in search, I was used to the old DDG was much better. All the technology we have and these companies have and they go backwards instead of forwards.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
New layout is just a pain to use...
zac
Can you pleas provide examples of what you mean? The redesign was in open beta for weeks and we would've loved your feedback.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Would have been involved earlier, but you released it during a period in which I've been extremely busy. I'm quite annoyed that you took away the DDG that I really quite enjoyed, during my extremely busy period.
anonymous
Stop complaining guys. This update was a huge step forward. DDG Now includes searches for Images. Not only that it adds places and other things.

There are many people who stuck with google because they used it to search for images since DDG couldn't. Now people have less reason not to use DDG.
anonymous
It could have included images without changing the layout.

I too have been finding the interface feels slower to uses, and slower to return results. That may just be a perception due to the decreased info density (more white space, more annoyed scrolling).

I must say I never saw pull down tabs before, but then I was getting adept at (and enjoying) using !bangs to chose what type of return I wanted.
rocketpenguin23
I think that if you want lightweight and old-looking version you should use duckduckgo html (https://www.duckduckgo.com/html) or lite version (https://www.duckduckgo.com/lite) because they load no javascripts and use only html.
posted by rocketpenguin23 4 years and 4 months ago Link
anonymous
Yeah, but the html version is missing functionality. The New DDG hate wouldn't have been so hard, if they hadn't turned on every unasked for "extra" on by default. Or ended up wasting so much screen space.
anonymous
"The New DDG hate wouldn't have been so hard, if they hadn't turned on every unasked for "extra" on by default."
^this ; 100x time this