Visited links should have a different color

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 3 months ago
While the new redesign is awesome, already visited links are hard to see. They're only identified by a small grey check mark on the left hand side.
When quickly scanning through the list of results, it's easy to miss, and not really self-explanatory either I'd say.
Changing the color of result title would probably work better and is a known pattern that people would recognize instantly.
My 2 cents anyway.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
this is user configurable: Settings\Colors\Visited Links
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
Ah great! Thanks, and sorry for not having looked more in the settings
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
x.15a2
No problem, glad that worked for you. With the new design there are several new\changed settings.
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
I just don't get why the default settings have to be made so counter-intuitive. Most people will not bother looking in the settings when performing a search, and some won't even be aware that there are user-configurable settings. I hope that you will actually take into account what is being said on the forum to improve the new DDG.
buckeye
i find this new format to be very intuitive and find colored links to be distracting

html2 is dead and it's time to move on
posted by buckeye 4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
well, good for you.
this has nothing to do with html; it's about usability and effectiveness.
buckeye
Quote:
well, good for you.

thanks!

Quote:
this has nothing to do with html; it's about usability and effectiveness.
clearly i was referring to look feel and functionality

usability and effectiveness are matters of taste and that is why it is great that users can configure settings to what best suits them
posted by buckeye 4 years and 3 months ago Link
Joe.Koenig
You can accomplish this www-wide, regardless of the site's approach. It's really more of a browser-setting than a site-setting. I, for one, use the Opera browser, and my config in this regard, (on Linux) is:

$ cat ~/.local/share/opera/styles/user.css

a:visited {
color: #909 !important;
}

It's a simple so-called "stylesheet file" which tells the browser how to behave and render certain elements. In this case, it simply tells the browser in which color "visited" links should be displayed.

This browser setting takes precedence over all website-settings. It should be similarly easy to implement with other webbrowsers. Just do a websearch for "user stylesheets".
posted by Joe.Koenig 4 years and 3 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago