The new way of presenting URLs is counter productive

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 3 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 3 months ago
When conducting a search the URL of web page is displayed as one of the information. To me, this indicates that the URL is an information which is relevant in deciding which search result should be selected.

In the new version of DDG, This information is truncated and is only fully revealed once the mouse hovers over the specific search result. The contents of the page do not move to make room for the withheld information, as a result of which the empty location for the rest of URL is dead space.

Since the URL is one of the determining factors for search result selection, to me at least, it only makes sense that it should be fully inspected before a decision has been made. With the old version of DDG, I was able to perform a search, look at the first few results and decide which result I want to open. With the new version of DDG, I perform a search, I have to hover each search result to find out what the URL is. If I narrow down the decision to two or more results, I have to hover them again. This is a waste of my time and when I am at work it is a waste of company time.

Are you able to provide rationale on why URL information is so insignificant that you would go as far to withhold information regarding it?

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

x.15a2
While I'm not one of the developers or designers, I can say that some people prefer to see the main\home web site, others prefer the entire URL. If you prefer the later, you can select the Contrast theme and you will see the entire URL without mousing over the results.

Thanks
posted by x.15a2 Community Leader4 years and 3 months ago Link
anonymous
That's great, did not realize that was a possibility. Unfortunately I must now update my browsers' search engines to activate this option by default.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 3 months ago Link
lazercroc
Isn't the main/home website part of the full URL?

I think that if DDG displayed full URLs by default, it would be more better overall, because people can still see the main/home website, and it would be so much more helpful for more advanced users who rely a lot on full URLs.

Or, how about displaying the main/home website a different shade/colour to the rest of the URL by default?
posted by lazercroc 4 years and 3 months ago Link