two small improvements in the maps system

failsnail failsnail
Created: 4 years and 5 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 5 months ago
I really like the openstreetmap search feature but there are two things that I'd like to see improved; the recognition city's and the lacking possibility to go to openstreetmap or mapquest by simply clicking a button.
For most American city's such as boston there is a little button to enter the maps function. I however live in the Netherlands (I'd like to apologize for my English), and the dutch city's don't trigger this feature. After some research I even found that places such as Paris and seoul don't trigger this by default. Luckily the query seoul map does trigger it, like loads of other city's and even tiny dutch villages do. I just think this could be improved.
A more important feature would be a way to quickly enter a map service (preferably one that is able to plan routes, is private etc.) when you found the place using the feature previously described. When I am searching a place I need to go to it would be great to instantly enter the site that enables me to find the route without needing to repeat the search or any other inconvenience.

Thanks for any improvements and for this amazing search engine in general :)

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Seconded, it would be very nice to either get a listing of openstreetmap locations, or at least a link to take you to openstreetmap to get more info... sort of like an unnamed search engine that rhymes with frugal.

Also, very frustrating is the fact that map results only show one location. For example, if you search for "mcdonalds [city]" you only get one result when virtually any city has several McDonald's locations. I'm not certain whether this is a limitation of duckduckgo or openstreetmap.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 5 months ago Link
failsnail
but your example with mcdonalds does enable you to click on 'more at yelp', which is exactly the thing i'd like to have implemented with maps.
posted by failsnail 4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
At first I had no idea what you were talking about, but after clicking the link in Caine's reply to your original post, I saw the places tab. Seems like you only get that, or at least I only get that, if you search for '(something) in (place)' but if you give a specific name of a place, like 'Mcdonald's in (place)' you don't get the places tab. I only seem to get it if I give a category, like Thai, or burgers, or fast food, etc. So, unless I'm missing something, which is VERY possible, it doesn't seem like that is an option, unless I just search for the type and find the specific place I want via the yelp results.
caine
This is one of the first improvements we plan to implement! Thanks for the feedback.
posted by caine Staff4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Awesome, I can't wait! When I first used DDG a few months ago, I was glad that such a search engine existed, with privacy in mind, but the lack of extra features meant I couldn't - or, rather, was too lazy to - use it as my default search. Already I see huge improvements and it's to the point that I can and did switch my default search, and have tried to get at least a few friends and family switched as well, but it's hard if that person isn't as worried about privacy if they don't have the same or a very similar experience as they do with Google.

Sorry for rambling on, but my point is that DDG is an excellent idea and becoming a very usable search engine for more than just a few specific searches that you don't want tracked. Thank you so much for your, and everyone's, effort. While I can't contribute directly to the development, I'll continue spreading the word where I can, provide feedback and imrpovement suggestions when possible, and spend a little time regularly to improve openstreetmap.

If there's some other way I can contribute, please point me in that direction, I'd be very glad to do what I can. I am technical, just not proficient enough with development to build anything useful.

Thanks again!
caine
Thanks for the feedback. We are in the process of updating the Maps implementation right now. I agree it has the potential to be one of the coolest and most useful IAs. We are also trying to wrap directions support in at the same time. We are solidifying the Places implementation first, and the rolling into Maps/Directions more seriously. http://ddg.gg/?q=thai+in+nyc
posted by caine Staff4 years and 5 months ago Link