Problems with too restrictive safe search

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 3 years and 7 months ago
I did a search for the following on DDG:

"GoNaked" site:spiritcircuits.com

I expected to get the following page:

www.spiritcircuits.com/services/go-naked

But it didn't show up.

I had safe search on and I believe that was the problem as when I turned it on all was as expected.

I had a play around with Yandex and from this I believe the problem is DDG is using uses the Yandex for kids options for the safe search. For adults this is too restrictive so can I suggest DDG gives the option of 3 levels of protection, unsecure, secure and for kids.

Terry

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

Joe.Koenig
Code:
 had safe search on
Isn't that kind of counter-prodoductive to your goal?
posted by Joe.Koenig 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
The goal is to use DDG to find stuff on the internet.

I started this investigation when I found google and bing gave better results than DDG.

Kids have no trouble getting around restrictions like safe surf as they have the time to play around.

As an adult I don’t have the time to mess around and want things to work straight out-of-the-box.

Right now google and bing work better than DDG with default settings for this type of search. There is nothing wrong with kids looking at the link in the original post. The GoNaked referes to PCB manufacture.

In other respects DDG is so much better than google and bing and the goal of this post is to give feedback to DDG in the hope they can make DDG the best search engine out there.

Terry
posted by <hidden> • 3 years and 7 months ago Link
Moollaza
Hi Terry,

I just tried your search and I'm actually seeing the results you expected (image attached). It looks like the domain you mentioned is the first result too!

Do you happen to have a region set? I also have safe-search on so please try the query again and let me know if you're still not getting the correct results.

BTW, if you ever want to turn off safesearch for an individual search, you can put "!safeoff" in the query and it will force safe-search to be off.
posted by Moollaza Staff3 years and 7 months ago Link
Moollaza
Whoops, forgot the image!
[ https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnathoe0ktjtv5n/2014-06-23_22h33_35.png]
posted by Moollaza Staff3 years and 7 months ago Link
Choca
it comes up for me
posted by Choca 3 years and 7 months ago Link
anonymous
It comes up for me as well now!

Did someone at DDG read this thread and fix it?

Terry
anonymous
Opps I made a mistake the problem is still there I must have had safe search turned off.

Carry out the following steps to reproduce the problem.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Del and clear everything including the settings for DDG

go to

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22GoNaked%22+...

NOTE: The following link is missing from the search results ...

www.spiritcircuits.com/services/go-naked

If you then turn off safe search and repeat the search the link above appears in the search results.

Terry