Advertising platform?

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 5 months ago • Updated: 4 years and 5 months ago
As someone who uses PPC advertising, I'd love to see DuckDuckGo come up with it's own platform for bidding on keywords. I'd feel good having 100% of revenue go to DDG. Do you know what Bing means in Chinese? Illness

Remember old HotBot's basic keyword bidding? As simple it was, it made for some very relevant search results.

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

adminerous
DuckDuckGo.com was created without ads, now it have but only one, an advertising plataforme will make tracking necessary.
Sorry.!!
posted by adminerous 4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Yes, but there is no way for us to target just DDG with Bing -- we have to serve ads to 99% Bing and Yahoo users just to show that 1% ads to DDG!

I think it's a legitimate request for us to pay DDG for that one ad rather than paying Bing and hoping it eventually shows up on DDG.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 5 months ago Link
anonymous
Wont it defeat the whole purpose of DDG if it shows ads and as you say it means tracking ? I installed a non-tracking browser that uses DDG just so I would never have to bother about being tracked as well as ABP and Ghostery . Its great not to be directed to paid websites which is what Google and the rest do and not receive emails related to my browsing habits . I know for a fact Google are unhappy with people like me that block cookies and are trying to overcome it.But what you want DDG to is cut its own throat by becoming another Google if that day arrives its good-bye DDG. Many people post comparing DDG with Google and want all the same things that Google does this is self-defeating its like a soft attack on you -be strong the silent majority are with you. -at the moment no tracking or ads are showing on your site.
anonymous
I'd personally feel much better having DDG serve ads than having an MSN/Bing/Yahoo script appear on DDG's pages. Companies like MSN and Google are using sophisticated behavioral tracking systems, storing that data longterm (or forever), and sharing such data with 3 parties.
It's within DDG's power to serve ads not based on tracked/stored surfing behavior, but purely on keyword relevancy. That's much less tracking than is probably currently occuring with MSN/Yahoo ads.
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 5 months ago
buckeye
i leave ddg ads enabled because it's only 1 ad and it is based only on my current search. by the way weard, what others spend their money on and how much they spend is their business and not for you to be the judge of
posted by buckeye 4 years and 5 months ago Link
This comment has been removed for violation of our forum rules.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 5 months ago