Gmail xmpp problems again (Jul 2014)

<hidden> anonymous
Created: 4 years and 1 month ago
Hi! Is it just me or we are having problems with Google's XMPP server again?

Since yesterday all my gmail contacts are off-line with a message saying "Remote Server Not Found".

Thank you!

This forum has been archived

Thank you all for the many comments, questions and suggestions. Particular thanks go to user x.15a2 for constantly monitoring, replying and helping so many users here. To continue these discussions, please head over to the DuckDuckGo subreddit.

anonymous
Please read here.
posted by <hidden> • 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
Oh I see, thanks.

So basically s4s encryption is not supported by Google so after the update you can't talk with gmail's contacts... that sucks :(
zac
To clarify, you can't talk with users on any other XMPP service that doesn't support server-to-server encryption. GTalk/GChat just happens to be a popular one, but not the only one impacted.
The takeaway from the community has been really positive, so it's great to see people willing to make a sacrifice for a higher level of security/privacy.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link
shmerl
Did anyone file a bug to Google about it? Is there any point to bother or they won't even care about fix this?
posted by shmerl 4 years and 1 month ago Link
zac
It's not so much a, "bug" as it is a choice but, in that case, speaking out about a lack of security is always a good thing.
posted by zac Staff4 years and 1 month ago Link
shmerl
Any idea where better to report it? I submitted it to Hangtouts group, since Google talk one is frozen, but with all that Google's push to non federated Hangouts, I suspect this will never get "fixed".

Out of my contacts, the vast majority are Google users, so this change cut off more than 90% of them. I agree with the idea, but without fixing it on the Google's side it literally forces me either to register on Google's server again, or to ask my contacts to make an account elsewhere, and both of those options don't sound realistic.
posted by shmerl 4 years and 1 month ago Link
anonymous
I think the idea is to "force" Google to use s4s encryption, which is now kind of mandatory (http://blog.prosody.im/mandatory-encrypt...), but they probably don't care much about this nor letting people talk outside of Google's xmpp servers. Anyways, I think it is important to tell them that some of their users do care...